RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 10/18/2020 at 10:04 PM, phantomdriver said:

The FG.1 did indeed have the  tail common to the RF-4...

Thank you Sir, nice to have confirmation on that, I am not going mad after all!  Oh wait I am....I am doing this conversion LOL

On 10/18/2020 at 10:40 PM, jenshb said:

Excellent references in this thread for those who will make an FG.1 in the smaller scales.  And excellent work too.

Thanks very much, I was hoping it might become a good source of British Phantom refs, I have some more great info from John, that those interested in Brit Phantoms will find interesting.

7 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Brilliant progress, Anthony. Impressive how big the differences are in detail.

Thanks Ben....yes surprised me too!

4 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Great show Anthony!! Looks like you also work with the main principle one step forward two steps back.......but it will be very rewarding in the end!!

Look forward to more

Rick

LOL, thanks Rick, most of my projects seem to be like this...

Big Shout out to Albert D!

Al your spare tail heat shield piece just turned up at the door this morning!  Looks like I can crack on with this complex area again whilst I work on the fin.

Thanks again buddy, I am truly appreciative of your help here.

Payday on Wed night, I am going to order the Brassin Late Tailpipe set that has the bonus Arrestor gear parts. Not that I will use the engines, or much of them (if any)

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement.  This weekend is a long weekend here, so lets hope I can get some good progress done!

Cheers Anthony

On 10/22/2020 at 10:38 AM, CJP said:

Great modelling as usual from you Anthony - the build is also becoming a good source of FG1 reference material too

CJP

Thanks mate, I am hoping it will be a good source of info for Brit Phantom modeler's

On 10/22/2020 at 4:26 PM, spyrosjzmichos said:

One can only be impressed at how clean your construction progress has been so far Anthony!

Loving it! :bow:

Thank you!  I am still using your EJ as a source of info and inspiration,,,thank you

On 10/22/2020 at 6:59 PM, AlbertD said:

Glad the part got there safely. It will be a pleasure to see it put to good use.

Thanks Al, I am already modifying it, nothing in this rear heat shield area will match the original Tamiya one.  I am just removing all the ribbing off the lower rear 1/3, hopefully photos to follow soon

@Chek Does this help?  Photo courtesy of our own Moderator Iain 

NWsHfq.jpg

Cheers Anthony

3 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks, let me know if you need more!

Great stuff Anthony - I also have dimensions for these as well, should you need them (and other aircraft areas - Iain and I were there together photographing and measuring aspects of the airframe); keep up the amazing work.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

13 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Great stuff Anthony - I also have dimensions for these as well, should you need them (and other aircraft areas - Iain and I were there together photographing and measuring aspects of the airframe); keep up the amazing work.

Derek

Thanks Derek, really appreciate it, 

I am feeling a bit bad I dont have another update yet, but this back end heat shield area is really challenging me.... getting there though!

Bit of a small update on where this build has slowed me down a bit.

Here is the rear piece that Al sent me and as you can see I have smoothed off all the ridges in prep to press in a million little circles with my beading tool. I have shown the remains of the WH resin piece as that is how the kit is too.  I dont know if this is correct for a US Phantom, but it's not for a Brit one...so off they came and new panel lines scribed in.

Y5k44b.jpg

Then I will graft Al's (Albert D) piece onto the section I have been modifying for the Spey back end as I got a bit untidy with what I was doing with all my hacking up to figure this all out.

It looks a bit of a mess (parts just pressed together) whilst I sort out the transition between the fuse and modified heat shield insert.

mNzGDj.jpg

I am slowly getting there.  I spent a couple of days with templates etc making sure I had the left and right sides symmetrical, so I dont have a lot to show...this part is kicking my butt.

Thanks as always for looking in, I wish I had more to show!

Cheers Anthony