RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Thanks Anthony,

One of the links in that thread directs you to the site of a certain modelling genius and who is a autodidact draughtsman too with some very nice drawings for the

FG-1.

http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4/f4e-1.html

Edited by Cees Broere

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

Great work Anthony - I have just moved home, so it will take a while for me to get back 'into the saddle' as it were, si it may be some time before I can get back to you on anything specific.

Cheers

Derek

No worries mate....glad you're back.  No rush on those items.  I am still working on splicing my WH lower wing section into the kit one.  Needed to put lots of thought into that...coming along well though.

Just got a Paypal refund with no explanation from Nautilus Models for the lower strengthening doubler panels I ordered....oh well.(edit: its a partial refund, so maybe postage was cheaper?)

On a better note I have had contact with Pierre Greutert,  the 32nd madman Phantom Fixer (his words LOL).  His 32nd F-4S conversion with removed engine etc he has been working on is going to see if he can help me out with some etched ones he did. I will keep you posted.

Hope to finish the splice by the end of the day and show you how I went about it (different from my initial idea)

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

2 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Great show Anthony, I enjoy following this!!

Thanks, I am glad to have you along too!

Well, although I spent a huge chunk of the weekend working on this I dont seem to have a lot to show.  I decided on a different cut/splice position as it will leave less clean up and sort the issue of moving the Aux intake doors forward one bay.

This shows where I cut a piece of Tamiya belly out to cover the incorrect position of the WH one.  This allows me to still use the kit plastic doors.  Took a bit of time to get as best a fit I could and superglued it in.

VY7abB.jpg

And I took a loooong time scratching and scraping the lower wing piece down.  I have almost got a perfect fit ready to glue it in....

z9ZDXf.jpg

Lets hope I dont stuff it up with the superglue.  Getting a tidy join is a bit tricky.

Filled the outboard pylon mounting holes ready to remark and drill sometime

Thanks for looking in

Cheers Anthony

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks, I am glad to have you along too!

Well, although I spent a huge chunk of the weekend working on this I dont seem to have a lot to show.  I decided on a different cut/splice position as it will leave less clean up and sort the issue of moving the Aux intake doors forward one bay.

This shows where I cut a piece of Tamiya belly out to cover the incorrect position of the WH one.  This allows me to still use the kit plastic doors.  Took a bit of time to get as best a fit I could and superglued it in.

VY7abB.jpg

And I took a loooong time scratching and scraping the lower wing piece down.  I have almost got a perfect fit ready to glue it in....

z9ZDXf.jpg

Lets hope I dont stuff it up with the superglue.  Getting a tidy join is a bit tricky.

Filled the outboard pylon mounting holes ready to remark and drill sometime

Thanks for looking in

Cheers Anthony

Very impressive Anthony - well done (this is more or less what I had envisaged with my conversion set breakdown, so your work appears to vindicate the approach).

One thing I had long considered was the fuselage centreline pylon - the F-4J kit pylon is OK, but if that is copied onto the F-4K/M, which has a more downward sloping lower fuselage, without adjustment it could potentially cause the centreline fuel tank to be at an incorrect angle to the fuselage (pointing upwards at the front too much); you may need to check this out?

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Derek 

Yes, I totally think your approach would have worked. This conversion is overkill really. Having said that it is saving me a lot of scratchbuilding.

Interesting point about the c/l pylon. I will check the centreline of the airframe closer to the time and see what the deal is!

cheers Anthony 

1 hour ago, jimbo59 said:

I believe the “keel” line down the centerline of the belly of the f-4j and fg.1/fgr.2 was the same. The downward angle at the rear was due the way the engines were mounted. You might be ok with the centerline pylon.

Keel Line.....that’s the word I was looking for!  Looking at photos you seem to be right. I’ll check my drawings when I get home from work 

4 hours ago, P_Aybara said:

Wow. I remember drooling over this conversion but the price plus donor kit made it too much for a amateur like me. I never thought I'd see one in it's natural habitat! 

Yes, shame I am not using a lot of it.....

Ok, the keel line appears to be the same.  Here is a capture from the Wings of Pegasus website 

AIhaht.jpg

Thanks guys

Anthony

OK, I have achieved a nice permanent join.  I have decided (at this stage) not to glue the rear inner wing sections to the resin part.  The reason is because I may have to sort the join out from the lower wing to main fuselage section.....we shall see.

It's late, I have to go to bed, that was a bit stressful LOL

ZWCEVv.jpg

Cheers guys

Anthony

5 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Hi Anthony,

Now this is nice work, I am running out of original things to say, maybe due to my lack of English verbs......

Sleep well,

Rick

Thanks Rick! LOL no need to think of new things, having you guys along helps me a lot as I am pretty green when it comes to the Phantom...but I am learning fast!

16 minutes ago, jimbo59 said:

You did good!

Thanks buddy!

Appreciate the support gents, please make sure you point out things that need addressing with Brit Phantom's as I go in case I miss them.  No sense going to all this effort to leave stuff out etc.

Cheers guys

Anthony