RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

12 hours ago, AlbertD said:

It looks like your getting the shape really well Anthony. Nice going.

Thanks Al, I was a little surprised at how difficult I found this area to do.  Looking back, Barry might have got this fix sorted easier than I have, and I just took the difficult way around t...as usual! LOL.  But I am feeling really pleased at how the shapes look the more I stare it it.  Other side is slowly getting there now.  Once I have this sorted and rescribed I will dissect it and graft part of it into your spare coming, thanks again by the way!

2 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Following your progress is as impressive as it's fun - as usual, Anthony! :) 

Thanks Ben, I think impressive is too kind compared to what you do!  But I am enjoying it.  Thanks mate, that means a lot!

1 hour ago, vvwse4 said:

Great show Anthony, really enjoying it. When do you sleep by the way?

Cheers Rick

Sleep, Huh, what's that?  Actually I am doing this in my sleep as well:blink:...or so it seems. Thanks buddy, I am glad you are enjoying this as much as I am!

35 minutes ago, DonH said:

So...have you finished yet? Hurry up!!!

Really enjoying this thread.

:D....sorry, I am back on it, honest!  Glad you are enjoying this too mate, comments like yours really help me push through, so thanks!

So more CA on after work tonight, and the other side is starting to take shape now, but still a way to go.  I will be making horizontal and vertical templates to ensure both sides match, probably tomorrow.

My Master Short Nose Phantom set arrived today, so thats great.

So also did my intake set from "Real Model' our very own Miloslav1956 here on the forum!  What can I say, except WOW, very nice indeed.  I wasnt sure what to expect, but knowing his modelmaking skills here on the forum I figured they should be pretty good.  I am super impressed with them.  They are works of art and he has removed the doublers and patches  and replaced the correct detail on the surface along with some fasteners correctly done from what I can see.  Very impressed and highly recommended without hesitation, here are a couple of pics

LCaSEP.jpg

ErDnCw.jpg

It will seem a shame to take to them with a saw and widen them only a few mm.  Oh well the intakes will be upon me soon enough to try and figure out what to do.  Unfortunately the WH intakes look like Elephant ears compared to the actual ones and there are a couple of other problematic areas that will need to be looked at, at that time...all good though.

Thanks again chaps, I really appreciate your support!

Cheers Anthony

12 minutes ago, BLACK MAMBA said:

Indeed!:D The FG.1 can only ever be in one paint scheme - the one true paintscheme, EDSG!

Awwww, hence why my title hasn't changed yet.  It's tough choosing a scheme when you only get one shot.  I love the FG.1 with the EDSG too, but I think it might look stupid with the nose leg extended (which you really have to do, with such a unique feature for the carrier based version) and the canopy open and refueling probe out.

Then I LOVE the overall grey weathered schemes with the coloured (particularly the black 74 'Tiger')fin's, but if I do that then I might as well do an F-4J(UK), but I dont think I will ever build another 32nd Phantom....on and on it goes.  I felt XV571 with just the tail in the large checks(not the spine) might be a nice compromise???

I need to go to bed and sleep on it.....it is 12:30am here now.  LOL, who said "when do I sleep??" was that you Al and Rick??  Well it seems I aint getting much!

Cheers my Phantom buddies

Anthony

Ah, Spey intakes eh? Well as someone once said, we choose to do these things and do the other things not because they are easy but because they are hard. Or in the case of adapting Spey intakes really *%$+g hard.

This will take more than one post because I don't have the time to find all the best comparison photos, but in this post the underside of the Spey (on the left) and J79 (on the right) intakes are shown with their salient differences indicated. Suffice to say the intake ramps differ, with the outlet vents being wider on the Spey version both at the rear of the ramp and the louvred outlets behind them.

I'll add the top sides and ramp profiles later, but that's all for now. 

50382472626_c00cb232fa_o.jpg

Edited by Chek
spelling

5 hours ago, Chek said:

Ah, Spey intakes eh? Well as someone once said, we choose to do these things and do the other things not because they are easy but because they are hard. Or in the case of adapting Spey intakes really *%$+g hard.

This will take more than one post because I don't have the time to find all the best comparison photos, but in this post the underside of the Spey (on the left) and J79 (on the right) intakes are shown with their salient differences indicated. Suffice to say the intake ramps differ, with the outlet vents being wider on the Spey version both at the rear of the ramp and the louvred outlets behind them.

I'll add the top sides and ramp profiles later, but that's all for now. 

50382472626_c00cb232fa_o.jpg

Well it's morning now!

Thanks Chek, I appreciate you adding your valuable knowledge on the Spey Phantom, especially the intakes!  I had a feeling there was a difference around here before I studied the area in detail.  Your photo's are most helpful indeed.  Once I graft this plastic back end on the WH resin and get a bit more surface detail underway , then I seriously need to work on the intake area and figure some solutions.

You have confirmed a thought I had but tried not to think too hard about....the outlet vents being wider, but I was hoping not.

Sheesh, this is getting bigger than Ben Hur...all good though!  I have enough plastic and resin intakes to deal with it.  I might end up widening the intakes here a little, which will allow me to add stiffeners.  That lower ID lamp stays in the same position in relation to the panel line and not moved further out as in the conversion.  I think at least one section will need to be added at the vent outlet area, but that might not be too hard now I have the Real Model intakes to cut up?

I hope HK is watching...

Thanks guys

Anthony

2 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

Wow, you have to modify the perfectly good intakes too? Those do look like nice intakes and I'll get a set for my next Phantom build. Did they come with the splitters or whatever they are called?

LOL yes mate I do as they are for all versions of Phantom (except British ones)

No you need to use the kit splitters, but I highly recommend these ones from Real Model!

3 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

LOL yes mate I do as they are for all versions of Phantom (except British ones)

No you need to use the kit splitters, but I highly recommend these ones from Real Model!

The GT intakes are nice as well but the splitters they came with is one place that could be improved. I'm thinking uf using the kit parts instead. It should be easy to adapt them. Way easier then the total re-construction you are doing.

1 minute ago, AlbertD said:

The GT intakes are nice as well but the splitters they came with is one place that could be improved. I'm thinking uf using the kit parts instead. It should be easy to adapt them. Way easier then the total re-construction you are doing.

I couldnt find the GT ones in stock, hence getting these.  I have never seen the GT ones, but these are really very very nice

I am getting used to cutting up expensive bits of resin now, it dosent scare me so much