RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

17 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Ok, now get back to work.;)

So I took your advice Albert and got back to work,  as I had spent a long time on that heat shielded area and figuring out how to modify it.

Just finishing off the back end before I cut it off.  I posted this side because I am waiting for some superglue to dry on the other side to fix a panel line that shouldnt be there (looking at a drawing and not photo's).  

For those who know your Brit Phantoms, after seeing this will know which version I am now building

LVdjSr.jpg

1DoE0T.jpg

Not much of an update....but progress is progress!

Cheers guys

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

26 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

Yes, progress is progress and is all good. Sometimes I only get a half hour session but it helps keep it fresh in the mind and see thing after being away for a bit. Your rivet detail is superb. 

Yes, so true Albert.....and thanks for the compliment on my riveting!  It is tedious work, but I think will be worth it in the end with weathering etc...

The beginning of the end.....(back end LOL)

Seems to be fit issues in this area on other peopled builds, I see what it is and can address it.  A spacer in the back to line the lower piece up with the upper piece should do it.  This is just sitting here, nothing glued

mrx5oT.jpg

On 9/19/2020 at 11:58 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

So I took your advice Albert and got back to work,  as I had spent a long time on that heat shielded area and figuring out how to modify it.

Just finishing off the back end before I cut it off.  I posted this side because I am waiting for some superglue to dry on the other side to fix a panel line that shouldnt be there (looking at a drawing and not photo's).  

For those who know your Brit Phantoms, after seeing this will know which version I am now building

LVdjSr.jpg

1DoE0T.jpg

Not much of an update....but progress is progress!

Cheers guys

Anthony

Nice work Anthony. I wonder which of the three Squadrons you'll choose? ;)

Derek

Derek

9 hours ago, Derek B said:

Nice work Anthony. I wonder which of the three Squadrons you'll choose? ;)

Derek

Derek

43 Squadron(XV571)Derek, low Viz grey, large black and white checkered tail, but with the spine ones overpainted.  I have decided to do her right before she got another paint touch up and the checkers on the fin replaced by 2 rows of black and white checkers.  By then she was just starting to get a bit scruffy in the paint, but nothing too bad, a few repaint touch ups, staining etc....

Just before I went to bed last night I had an idea!  See below...

Now, I dont know if this will work but I have a spare part coming from Albert D and so all wont be lost.  Having his part gave me the confidence to try this out.

By using a photoetch saw  and making this cut, I bulged it down as far as the plastic would allow.  I have then pulled the front part of the cut back together which has allowed the inner contour to go back up into the correct position for the engine openings.  Creating a 'hump' effect. This in turn should give me a good basis to build up with CA and create the correct contours, as well as maintain a lot of the surface detail and nice joins between panel lines.

Well, it is not pretty and might not work, but one has to try...what could possibly go wrong???:lol:

T9LNOB.jpg

But it might work too....

Cheers Anthony

One thing I might suggest is drilling a hole at the end of the "crack" to stop it from splitting further down the line. It's something machinists do when the have a stress crack in a part. Then you can fill the hole as necessary but the crack will not go beyond the hole.

2 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

One thing I might suggest is drilling a hole at the end of the "crack" to stop it from splitting further down the line. It's something machinists do when the have a stress crack in a part. Then you can fill the hole as necessary but the crack will not go beyond the hole.

Aaaah, right you are...will do that right now!

On 9/22/2020 at 6:46 PM, jimbo59 said:

Another unexpected turn in this conversion. This is my new favorite thread.

Unexpected alright, I didnt see that shape change coming either LOL

I have spent waaaaaaay too many hours just on this corner of the heat shield area. 

So after bulging this area out with plastic card I have been slowly building up the shape with CA.  I have stared at so many Phantom back-end photos, I am seeing them in my dreams now!

I wont know if I have it right until I get some Mr Surfacer on there and see if I can get a 'true feel' on the shape...hopefully before I go to bed tonight.

pGOm9u.jpg

Phew!

LAzUYW.jpg

5FCIWs.jpg

Getting there....this shape is surprisingly tricky.

I am showing you guys this as I try and figure it out as I go. Allowing you to see how rough it is under the primer. More refining to go and then the other side and replace surface details.  Half of this will be removed and grafted into the piece AlbertD has sent me.

Cheers guys

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

All of my scratch building/master pattern making and major conversion work follow a similar route to yours...I have a clear idea of what I need to achieve (goal), but no clear idea of exactly how to get there (path). The problem becomes more compounded as experience, skill and confidence is gained, as there is often more than one path to take in order to obtain the same goal!

So, most of my work tends to evolve almost 'organically' as I progress; I find that often the solution to a particular problem will present itself as you progress (it still doesn't recompense for your every waking and sleeping thought trying to work problems through though)...sometimes, in working out and planning build steps, it seems like it would be easier to compose a complete opera in comparison! 

Keep up the good work Anthony (keep that goal ever in sight!).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

46 minutes ago, Derek B said:

All of my scratch building/master pattern making and major conversion work follow a similar route to yours...I have a clear idea of what I need to achieve (goal), but no clear idea of exactly how to get there (path). The problem becomes more compounded as experience, skill and confidence is gained, as there is often more than one path to take in order to obtain the same goal!

So, most of my work tends to evolve almost 'organically' as I progress; I find that often the solution to a particular problem will present itself as you progress (it still doesn't recompense for your every waking and sleeping thought trying to work problems through though)...sometimes, in working out and planning build steps, it seems like it would to compose a complete opera in comparison! 

Keep up the good work Anthony (keep that goal ever in sight!).

Derek

Thanks for those words of wisdom buddy!  Coming from a master patternmaker and scratchbuilder like you, that means a lot!  

Good to know I am not the only one who makes stuff up as he goes :hmmm:LOL.

I am off to bed now, I have the other side all cut, shimmed and filled with CA, That can all cure whilst I sleep

Thanks again

Anthony

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

It was mine until it's been revealed it's going to be an FG.1!

Only joking Anthony, great work, you're building this for quite a few of us. 

LOL, you never know mate....until the cockpit is done, there is nothing a bit of CA filler and a scriber couldnt do to turn it into an FGR.2 again.  Although I do like the checkered fin of XV571.

I should change my thread title sometime...

Thanks for following along Andy, I would quite like to build a Camouflaged FGR.2 as well.  Lets hope we get a kit in the not too distant future.  Murphy's Law says you will when I finish this :lol:

Cheers Anthony....off to add some CA on the tail piece before work!