RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

10 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Damian...I looked at what they produce (and I have a lot of their sets), but nothing I feel I can replicate that flush hinge...

Rather, what I should have said is contact Woody at Archer as he makes a set of decal latches that are flush.

https://www.archertransfers.com/AR32011.html

He might be interested in doing something for you and/or the F-4 in general.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Damian

On 9/16/2020 at 5:17 AM, D.B. Andrus said:

Rather, what I should have said is contact Woody at Archer as he makes a set of decal latches that are flush.

https://www.archertransfers.com/AR32011.html

He might be interested in doing something for you and/or the F-4 in general.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Damian

Aaah, good thinking!

17 hours ago, DonH said:

This is a really interesting thread and I am learning a lot about the development of the ultimate Phantom.

I am also learning a lot about scratch building and general modelling skills, looking forward to more.

Glad you are enjoying it Don, so am I.  This is what LSP is all about.

Ok, so much serious study on this back end.

Huge thanks for everyones input and observations over the past few days.  It has created a whole lot more work....but I have come this far so....what the hey.

As John pointed out in his initial photo and comparisons, and then backed up by Derek, the change is quite obvious the more you look.

Here is a photo of our very own Iain Ogilvie he took (possibly with Derek around?) and I think it captures the shape change well.

b1VmQy.jpg

Thanks Iain!

You can really see here how the back end right behind the reheat can dips right down.  Notice the fasteners.  I just need to study this more to make sure the whole end dosent taper or just bulged above the tailhook   mount area.  I think Barry might have got it correct.

Thanks again chaps, your input is more appreciated than you realise! And just glad I found out before it was too late!

Cheers

Anthony

3 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Aaah, good thinking!

Glad you are enjoying it Don, so am I.  This is what LSP is all about.

Ok, so much serious study on this back end.

Huge thanks for everyones input and observations over the past few days.  It has created a whole lot more work....but I have come this far so....what the hey.

As John pointed out in his initial photo and comparisons, and then backed up by Derek, the change is quite obvious the more you look.

Here is a photo of our very own Iain Ogilvie he took (possibly with Derek around?) and I think it captures the shape change well.

b1VmQy.jpg

Thanks Iain!

You can really see here how the back end right behind the reheat can dips right down.  Notice the fasteners.  I just need to study this more to make sure the whole end dosent taper or just bulged above the tailhook   mount area.  I think Barry might have got it correct.

Thanks again chaps, your input is more appreciated than you realise! And just glad I found out before it was too late!

Cheers

Anthony

Yes, Iain and I were there together...Iain took some pretty awesome reference images.

Cheers

Derek

Hi Anthony,

Great building, not much I can add but I am really enjoying myself reading it.

Love the way you measure a few times and then cut, and then offcourse find out it wasn't exactly the way you figured it out. Sounds so familiar.

Look forward to more.

Rick

Alright, I have spent waaaay too much time analyzing these profiles.  I am going to see if this helps....

Photo's purely for illustrative purposes:

OK, now see the J/S profile

J2DF2N.jpg

Now see the K/M profile

b1VmQy.jpg

Now, in a hope to illustrate where I think the curves start and finish etc, I have highlighted the top row of fasteners in red, then tried to understand where the apex of the same curves go  (in green) on both.

Now I know this is not an exact science, but it's helping me to see where they all change etc.  To me the curvature is mostly at the top and coming down deep over the tops of the cans, the rest looks much the same, if blended down.

Hopefully my basic editing skills illustrates what I am seeing....?

sd0kcP.jpg

49jlsR.jpg

This seems to match everyone elses photo's posted here.

Hopefully this shot of a US back end at this angle helps illustrate

Ger0c5.jpg

Oops, ment to add one of Iain's images here

F486bA.jpg

Edited by Anthony in NZ

6 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

This illustrarates what you are up against very well. What a challange you have to look forward to. Your pictures also help me and it's much appreciated. 

Thanks Albert, yes I am wishing I hadnt thrown out the resin WH piece that I cut off as I might have been able to use it or practice with it. I am thinking of slicing the vertical lines on the heat shielding between the pipes and splaying them open.  I might see how I go or order a new piece from Tamiya and glue the forward sections on and sand them to shape...need to think about this

I don't know how long it would take for you to get the part from Tamiya to NZ but I may be able to help. When I started my F-4J project I was so paranoid about sanding off the raised panels on the fuselage and re-scribing and riveting that I bought a second fuselage from an eBay seller that I didn't use. It came with the exaust shielding piece or whatever you call it. I would be happy to send it to you to practice on or use as needed. Just need an address to send it to. It may take a long while to get to you too but it's an option.

Edited by AlbertD

2 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I was just looking at mailing cost and it may be cost prohibitive but I would be happy to go to the Post Office and get an estimate. If it's not too bad I would just send it and not worry about it. 

Albert, you would be a true Legend mate!  I am more than happy to pay for all the costs, no matter what it comes to.  I reckon I know how how to go about it now (hence the late reply) but having a second piece would mean a much neater job with grafting the 2 together .  

You've made my day mate!  You guys here rock, as Rich (Spooky56) donated the insert for the refueling probe after I decided to take a different direction with the conversion set as well as several others with their knowledge!  Things like this usually have me putting projects on the SOD, I am determined to see this through now....

I will PM you now!

Cheers mate

Anthony

1 minute ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Albert, you would be a true Legend mate!  I am more than happy to pay for all the costs, no matter what it comes to.  I reckon I know how how to go about it now (hence the late reply) but having a second piece would mean a much neater job with grafting the 2 together .  

You've made my day mate!  You guys here rock, as Rich (Spooky56) donated the insert for the refueling probe after I decided to take a different direction with the conversion set as well as several others with their knowledge!  Things like this usually have me putting projects on the SOD, I am determined to see this through now....

I will PM you now!

Cheers mate

Anthony

Happy to help. It all comes back in time one way or the other.

2 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

Happy to help. It all comes back in time one way or the other.

Sure does, I always make sure I can pay peoples help and generosity forward.  I have sent out loads of stuff over the years and each time someone does the same to me I just cant believe it...thank you sir!

12 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Sure does, I always make sure I can pay peoples help and generosity forward.  I have sent out loads of stuff over the years and each time someone does the same to me I just cant believe it...thank you sir!

Ok, now get back to work.;)

Edited by AlbertD