RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

13 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Marcel!

I just have to sort out the rivet pattern behind the splitter plate (need to find a pic of a derelict cockpit section) so I can finish that side off, then swing around to the stbd cockpit side...

I'm always wondering what colour gets painted behind the splitter plate - the lower colour - not the upper.  Woudl it be understurface colour extending  all the way, or the upper surface colour in the side view...? 

Anyway, for rivets, I would follow the rear bulkhead of the front cockpit as well as keeping vertical rivets going with the same distance as you have done for the front cockpit.

Ok chaps

This is for those who might be interested in the rivet pattern I have applied.

I have used photo's of the structure and an image from an AP manual of the structure under the skin to understand where everything rivets to.  So here it is, I think it is pretty accurate, and there might be a couple of areas that are missed, but 'oh well' besides most of it is hidden behind the Vari ramp

MIe9xy.jpg

exNRFm.jpg

Right-O off around to the other side now...look ok?

Cheers guys

Anthony

51 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Impressive work! 

Thanks a lot....this part is tedious

15 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

You sure have a lot of patience to go to this level. I'm looking forward to seeing it when the fuselage is joined up.

Thanks I am looking forward to seeing the fuselage joined up too!

I am still undecided on a scheme still... kinda leaning toward this FG-1, but it would also mean a complete redesign of the rear cockpit as I understand it??

fyUvgF.jpg

image courtesy of Aircraftprofiles.net

This particular bird was the CO's aircraft, and originally had black and white checkers down the spine that got overpainted to look like this....

Problem is that she stayed pretty clean, I wouldnt mind having a 'slightly worn' one...Hmmmm

Edited by Anthony in NZ

That checkered tail is really good looking. Are there any photos of the plane available. It's too bad we can't find photo portfolios of our subjects to use as references. Decent pictures can be a real challange to come up with.

14 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

That checkered tail is really good looking. Are there any photos of the plane available. It's too bad we can't find photo portfolios of our subjects to use as references. Decent pictures can be a real challange to come up with.

Yup

2FkCnw.jpg

8 hours ago, AlbertD said:

That's a sharp looking Phantom. I understand you wanting a canvas for more weathering but those marking with some subtle weathering would look really good.

Yes, it's certainly a possibility....

3 hours ago, jenshb said:

I think the rivet pattern looks convincing and credible - shouldn't that continue below the splitter as well?  The 43 Sqn CO scheme looks sharp, but 111 Sqn also had a special scheme involving a black spine and yellow markings - too loud?

Yes there are some to below the splitter, but I might wait until I get the lower wing on...The 111 Bird is quite nice too, but maybe, too loud/shiny...

SYIpXs.jpg

Quite like this

U8bID3.jpg

Image courtesy of Airfighters.com

Edited by Anthony in NZ

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Quite like this

U8bID3.jpg

Image courtesy of Airfighters.com

I feel I might be in the minority here but I feel such a heavily weathered beast peaks more interest personally than than a squeaky clean & brightly coloured one. The Toom was a war machine and she liked it dirty! It will show off all the rivet details well too. 

The 1435 Flight Phantoms also seem to have a nice mix between clean & dirty birds? Not sure if you want a fully loaded bird however.