RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks buddy.....

Thanks also Derek, for that link, I had already found it, but am always grateful for your (or anyone else's) help to locate info.

Which brings me to this...

I have searched everywhere and cant find any images of what is inside this door.  Being partially open, I want to detail it

lXG9rN.jpg

Any help very appreciated

Cheers Anthony

For reference use only (found on Britmodeller, LSP and from the internet sources):

F4-Cutaway.jpg

pNDs4c.png

pND3LW.png

pNXqbG.png

jMFm3YO.jpg

M9waRTV.jpg

47086473812_377f80a9c8_o.jpg

40173796973_378c264ff7_o.jpg

32390482097_b7eee53e70_h.jpg

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Great start Anthony!  I could never understand all the attraction of the British Spey Phantoms, since I assumed wrongly, it was just a regular Phantom with Rolls Royce engines in Britain.  Big deal.  All of the changes you have noted are very significant, however, so I am now a fan and I know your work will be, as the British often say, "Brilliant".  I will be watching this build closely from now on.

Cheers,

Chuck

8 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I found this, but no photo yet.

Thanks Derek and Andy, there might be enough to make a start in there, or even enough to do what I need

Don, yes mate that is a cracking photo isn't it

Thanks chaps, 

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

4 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Great start Anthony!  I could never understand all the attraction of the British Spey Phantoms, since I assumed wrongly, it was just a regular Phantom with Rolls Royce engines in Britain.  Big deal.  All of the changes you have noted are very significant, however, so I am now a fan and I know your work will be, as the British often say, "Brilliant".  I will be watching this build closely from now on.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!  You will be a Brit Phantom fan by the end of it, and I probably wont want to look at another one LOL

It may be worth mentioning that the recent Airfix FG1 Phantom kit was LIDAR scanned and may be worth getting as a reference.

While it has been criticised for lacking some important detail, from a shapes point of view, I haven't seen anything glaringly

wrong from any of the dozen or so builds I've looked at.

I keep hoping they have the missing details in a separate file somewhere that they'll incorporate in a 1/48th version.

15 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

This will be quite a project, looking forward to more!!

Thanks for following along.  Weekend is nearly here, I should get bench time again!

On 8/6/2020 at 5:29 AM, Spooky56 said:

Or, even better, 1/24 :D

LOL.....some would love that, would look great with a Harrier

On 8/6/2020 at 5:25 AM, Chek said:

It may be worth mentioning that the recent Airfix FG1 Phantom kit was LIDAR scanned and may be worth getting as a reference.

While it has been criticised for lacking some important detail, from a shapes point of view, I haven't seen anything glaringly

wrong from any of the dozen or so builds I've looked at.

I keep hoping they have the missing details in a separate file somewhere that they'll incorporate in a 1/48th version.

Thanks for that, something I had not thought of....good to know

1 minute ago, dodgem37 said:

Good show, Anthony.  Lots of exhaustive research done on this aircraft.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark

Lots of people have done lots of research on the British Phantom, I am just trying to piece it all together to make this as accurate as I can in this scale.

Hi Anthony,

It is your fault I have started again on my scratch conversion:D:D

The past few days I have sanded the life out of the widened intakes to get a smooth surface. As II do

not want FID covers, that is cheating^_^

Do you know what colour the intake ducts were finished? I have seen many pics but so far two show that

the rear end is a light colour (white?) and the front looks like dark sea grey.

Still have no photo Hosting site as I do not trust any if them since the photobucket **** up.

Following your thread with more than normal interest.

Cheers

Cees

Excellent news Cees!  Made my day buddy!

Ok intake colour. It seems from my brief research into this area is that early schemes sported a white intake trunking from the vari-ramp back edge back.  Later ones I have noticed it appears to be what looks like the exterior grey extending all the way back to the engine front.  I need to research this more, as intakes are next when I have finished with the airframe panel details.