RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

I've never noticed a Wild Hare build photographed from the correct angle to see if the intake 'hump' is properly there.

With the implication it should be more obvious in order to get that more canted down look of the original.

You can see it above the fuselage roundel in this shot.

sM32BS.png

The intake ramp issue is in the last post on this blog page, with comparison photos.

5 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Have you seen this and this?

Thanks Andy, yup, got those mate....thanks for looking for me too:goodjob:

1 hour ago, Chek said:

I've never noticed a Wild Hare build photographed from the correct angle to see if the intake 'hump' is properly there.

With the implication it should be more obvious in order to get that more canted down look of the original.

You can see it above the fuselage roundel in this shot.

sM32BS.png

The intake ramp issue is in the last post on this blog page, with comparison photos.

Thanks Chek, no the WH conversion dosent have that 'hump' I will need to fix that.

One thing I am noticing is that with drawings, panel lines seem to vary.  I have decided to use photo's only for all my panel line work rather than drawings, as I have just been caught out.  No biggie, but photo's dont lie

15 hours ago, RadBaron said:

Looking great!

Thanks for your interest and following along

Cheers

Anthony

Working my way around the rear fuse.  Look at drawings, look at photo's, look at drawings, look at photos....then scribe.

HIdyLx.jpg

Hmmm, might need to tweak a couple of those rivet lines...sheesh, cameras arent kind up close!

Will just keep working on the back end until it's finished, the front will need some surgery.

AO817x.jpg

Well, the weekend is over...back to work!

Thanks for looking in

Anthony

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Andy, yup, got those mate....thanks for looking for me too:goodjob:

Thanks Chek, no the WH conversion dosent have that 'hump' I will need to fix that.

One thing I am noticing is that with drawings, panel lines seem to vary.  I have decided to use photo's only for all my panel line work rather than drawings, as I have just been caught out.  No biggie, but photo's dont lie

Thanks for your interest and following along

Cheers

Anthony

Looking good Anthony. The intake 'hump' is largely an illusion caused by the fact that they are slightly enlarged compared to the J79 powered aircraft. this is accentuated from ground level due to the way the 'shoulder' of the intake waists into the fuselage - if you see the intakes in direct (or even slightly above) side profile, no 'hump' is evident, however, when seen from below, or any other oblique angles, then it is evident (something I checked out when I worked on them and afterwards) - it is yet another a subtlety of Spey engined Phantoms :)

fnkLvIj.jpg

gIdrb2l.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B
Clarify explanation

Talking of panel lines, this one is fairly prominent on the left upper side of the fuselage (I don't think that it is on the right side).

xv497%20(82).jpg

I found it here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949864-mcdonnell-fg1-fgr2-phantom/ (although I guess that you have already seen it - there are lots of good details pictures there).

Derek

On 8/3/2020 at 11:31 AM, CJP said:

Great start Anthony & I'm watching this build with interest

CJP

Thanks buddy.....

Thanks also Derek, for that link, I had already found it, but am always grateful for your (or anyone else's) help to locate info.

Which brings me to this...

I have searched everywhere and cant find any images of what is inside this door.  Being partially open, I want to detail it

lXG9rN.jpg

Any help very appreciated

Cheers Anthony

As a side point

Derek I see your point about the 'hump effect' I have been studying this even more.  This illustrates it well I think...

Photo credit on Flickr Feredo Bridge

zsRNpy.jpg

Very interesting photo in my opinion, interesting to see where the intakes bulge out as well

31 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

As a side point

Derek I see your point about the 'hump effect' I have been studying this even more.  This illustrates it well I think...

Photo credit on Flickr Feredo Bridge

zsRNpy.jpg

Very interesting photo in my opinion, interesting to see where the intakes bulge out as well

Oooof, that is one beautiful picture. Makes me want to build a 1/32 Spey Toom. Now where did I put my kit? Oh yeah, there isn't one :-(