Trumpeter F-100F out

Tony T

On 10/17/2020 at 8:37 PM, Ben Brown said:

Did they get the wing too far aft and then stretch the cockpit area to compensate? I can’t figure out how they managed to get the overall length right but have problems in the cockpit area.

Ben

It's easy if you have a photo of the aircraft from the side and measure off it, the extreme left and right hand part of the image has some distortion due to the curve of the camera lens. So consequently your length can be out quite a bit depending on how near the photographer was to the plane, the further away the less distortion.

Plus of course most drawings in books are way off, also done from photographs.

Graham 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I found a thread over on Britmodeller, where a gentleman had a go at fixing the 1/72 F-100F kit. He has some good photos showing where Trumpeter went off the rails with the cockpit area. It looks like the fuselage dimensions aren't too far off, but they stretched the cockpit area somehow. This might open the door for somebody to come up with a solution to fix the 1/32 kit. Here's the link to the thread: LINK

EDIT: I went back and read his entire post. The first time, I was just interested in his photos comparing the Trumpeter and AMT kits. I'm not sure he needed to take a section out to shorten the entire fuselage. Based on the photo of the fuselage on the scale drawing, it looks like Trumpeter got the fuselage length close; they just pooched the cockpit area and canopy. Sorry for bringing nanoscale into the LSP forum ;), but this applies to both the 1/48 and 1/32 kits, too, since they just scaled up the CAD drawings.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Oh Fudge , I've just started messing about with my one. getting the Zacto nose to fit , U/C bays  , the boring stuff, and much as I love accuracy , there's no way I'm going to start cutting up my fuselage to fit an issue that 99.999999% of those looking at the finished model will notice or care about . 

I know how these accuracy discussions go , with both sides making impassioned arguments back and forth about the need to absolute accuracy Vs the "it looks good to me " , and while I accept both of these arguments as valid , I do tend to the latter  approach rather than the former and  I know that's kind of ironic since I chopped off the nose of the kit to fit a replacement nose section , but hey ho who said I had to be consistent 

To me there are some kits I won't take on simply because when they finished their so egregiously wrong (Trumpeter A-7 anyone), but in the case of the F-100F , yes if does look right , and ok it may not be , in this case I'm prepared to live with it 

I understand, Scotsman. I usually try to stay in the “that’s close enough” attitude, but I do tend to get a little, um..., picky about F-100s and F-4s. :D  Still, there’s no way I’d start hacking up the fuselage and canopy, either. I just thought I’d throw this out there for more ambitious souls than me. 

Cheers! 

Ben

Check closely your kit at delivery! Mine has a huge crack in the middle of the windscreen. The reason is simple : a bad sprue design combined with a stupid packaging choice. Indeed, rather than putting the clear sprues in a small box as they used to do, they put them on the end of the box with just a sheet of cardboard to separate them from the sprues. So, this is just a licence to damage. Plain stupid as the few saved banknotes linked to that shortcut will be more than compensated by the damaged sprues to replace. Damn Chinese quality control!

I think the Intake is the only really essential addition to the kit , the kit intake shape is basically wrong , and anyone with more than a passing knowledge of the F-100 will know it's wrong. And wile it goes against my post above , there are still some aspects of kits that really must be fixed, and this is one of these faults . The good news is that it's a fairly simple install ,

ColinR

AKA Scotsman 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the zombie thread. I was going through some files and found a station diagram for the F-100F. I thought I'd drop it in this thread, in case someone searches for info on the kit. I don't have a Trumpeter kit in any scale to measure, but someone on another forum has said the fuselage scales out to ~21 scale inches too long. Just throwing this out there for those who might care. If you have the kit and compare it to the diagram, please post your results here, as I'd love to see what you come up with.  

zEfkEfi.jpg

Ben 

I haven't got the kit (tales of canopy woes are a guaranteed turn off), but that station fig is very handy.

For me, just looking at pics of the kit when it first came out, the critical points are ~202 (wing LE meets fuselage) vs ~212 (clear part of canopy hood ends) vs ~224 (hood structure ends). 

I have yet to compare the above figures with a kit, but my initial "gut instinct" when I first saw it would be to remove about 6-7mm (~¼ins) from the back of the canopy hood, fix that to the fuselage, and redefine the rear clear edge of the hood to effectively make it shorter but wider. 

if that tallies up with the drawing then it might be a project to get Aerocraft interested in doing, as new cast clear parts with matching fuselage insert aft of the hood etc would be great, and provide a solution to dicing it with canopies cracked in transit from China.

Just an idea. I've long wanted an excuse to buy an F to do a camo Connecticut ANG bird and ResKit have recently done some very nice essentials: drop tanks, wheels and burner nozzles. 

Tony