Trumpeter F-100F out

Tony T

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

The Monogram series always were good kits, at least in my opinion. I've considered the Trumpeter kit in 1:48 scale, but have not really looked into that enough to determine if purchasing it is worthwhile or not.

Dave Menard practically went over the Monogram kit with a microscope. It’s the most accurate F-100 kit in any scale; it just needs a few minor tweaks here and there. I had the Trumpeter 1/48 F-100C kit for a while and after looking at what needed to be done to fix it (tail, cockpit, nose, etc), I decided that whenever I got around to building another F-100, I’d just convert one of my $10 Monogram kits.

Ben

On 2 September 2020 at 9:34 PM, Royboy said:

I don't think the F-100C will be very far behind the F variant!

Yes, I think that finally the Devastator will come next year, and after that,  an Su-17 / Su-22 series of fighters. :rolleyes::whistle:

I'm hoping for the slightly earlier Sukhoi's. Trumpy did a great job on the smaller scale Fishpot/Maiden, even if the Flagon series was slightly botched (but I'd take any of them as-is pantographed up to 1/32). Their Six is pretty slick too, but if they do a biggie they should include bubble and framed canopies — a major omission in the 1/48 offering.

A big RF-101C and Su-15TM are top of my wants, along with the Spey Toom, Deuce, Six, Vark and Draken, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wonder what companion firm Bobby Hoss has up its sleeve on the heels of the Invader? Probably WW2 but a Hustler at the same price as its B-24 would be dandy. 

Tony 

I believe that TrumpyBoss have several major projects in hand ready for the 'go' when the decision is made to announce them.

Just how many LSP's have yet to be announced, but I hope HB go ahead with a 1/32 F-111 series, their 1/48 kit is an absolute gem IMHO! 

I also wonder if they will complete the modern Sukhoi's with the SU-24 and Su-34 before moving backwards thru the marks?

Either way we're living in an astounding era of newly tooled LSP's for us to buy right now! 

Happy days. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a note for anyone who is as, um... enthusiastic... about F-100s as I am, who might be considering this kit. I asked a guy on Britmodeller who has received his to measure the fuselage for me, and he kindly did so. I compared them with a couple of my 1/48 F-100Fs (Fox 3 Studios and War Eagle conversions for the Monogram F-100D, the most accurate F-100 kit available in any scale) and some drawings, plus a measurement found elsewhere on Britmodeller comparing the available 1/72 F-100Fs. The War Eagle conversion was considered to be accurate by F-100 guru Dave Menard, so that's good enough for me, and the Fox 3 conversion is within a mm of the War Eagle conversion.

The total fuselage length of the Trumpeter F scales out to within a mm or two of the smaller kits. That said, the distance from the intake lip to the wing leading edge and the length of the canopy scales out to about 1 cm longer on the Trumpeter kit (118 on the 1/48 models, which scales up to 177 mm, compared to 191 mm on the Trumpeter kit). The 1/48 canopies scale up to 94.5 mm, compared to 108 mm measured on the Trumpeter kit. Scaling up the measurements of the 1/72 kits, the AMT F-100F comes out very close to the 1/48 models, while the 1/72 Trumpeter F matches the too-long 1/32 kit.

Please don't let this turn into another round of Trumpeter-bashing. I just want to put the numbers out there so people can decide for themselves if it's an issue for them or not.

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Hi All,

Just a note for anyone who is as, um... enthusiastic... about F-100s as I am, who might be considering this kit. I asked a guy on Britmodeller who has received his to measure the fuselage for me, and he kindly did so. I compared them with a couple of my 1/48 F-100Fs (Fox 3 Studios and War Eagle conversions for the Monogram F-100D, the most accurate F-100 kit available in any scale) and some drawings, plus a measurement found elsewhere on Britmodeller comparing the available 1/72 F-100Fs. The War Eagle conversion was considered to be accurate by F-100 guru Dave Menard, so that's good enough for me, and the Fox 3 conversion is within a mm of the War Eagle conversion.

The total fuselage length of the Trumpeter F scales out to within a mm or two of the smaller kits. That said, the distance from the intake lip to the wing leading edge and the length of the canopy scales out to about 1 cm longer on the Trumpeter kit (118 on the 1/48 models, which scales up to 177 mm, compared to 191 mm on the Trumpeter kit). The 1/48 canopies scale up to 94.5 mm, compared to 108 mm measured on the Trumpeter kit. Scaling up the measurements of the 1/72 kits, the AMT F-100F comes out very close to the 1/48 models, while the 1/72 Trumpeter F matches the too-long 1/32 kit.

Please don't let this turn into another round of Trumpeter-bashing. I just want to put the numbers out there so people can decide for themselves if it's an issue for them or not.

Ben

Im not sure what to make of these dimensions.  The intake to wing leading edge is 14 mm too long, and the canopy is 14mm too long.  That implies that the fix is to remove a 14mm section of the nose in the cockpit area, as well as the same size chunk of the canopy.  But, if the overall length was correct, you have to put the 14mm back somewhere.  Where does it go?  It’s got to be aft of the wing leading edge somewhere.

Received this kit today, opened it, looked at it, and KNEW ofcourse all the comments beforehand, didn't mind about it, will built it anyhow, and was especially interested in its difference in length, how it would "look", ...well here is what it looks like (a difference of 31 mm):

RYCCusY.jpg

Jack.

Ben,  looking at the pictures i took (btw the whole lower presentation isn't actually lined up regarding both tail end, but that aside) it is obvious that up to were in the dual the back end of the cockpit ends, the whole after part is in both versions (at least kit-wise) completely identical in presentation, so i'm not sure about any mis-configuration regarding the duals cockpit interior being off......but i'm not a Supersabre expert, mind you.

So IMHO the positioning of the main wing is in both kits in a identical position, so if that would be incorrect as to the real aircraft then both kits would be wrong in presentation, wouldn't it?

Edited by Jack

Good idea about the station diagram. I can’t compare the Trumpeter F kits to it, other than the canopy length (too long), but I was able to confirm the 1/48 Fox 3 and War Eagle conversions are very close to being spot-on, if you want to use them as a control group.

Ben