Wingnut Wings - Large shipment and Meng

Peter Browne

This IS a fascinating topic. I’ll be quite honest here: I build. I build quite a bit in fact. But, to date despite buying 15 WNW kits over the years, I always keep going to old kits that need ‘work’ to ‘improve my skills’ and have not even attempted a single WNW kit because they are ‘too good’ to make a mess of. Let me translate that for everyone: what that means is whilst I am happy to potentially mess up an old kit that everyone says is rubbish, I am too much of a candy-assed wussy boy to have a go at a WNW kit. Richard Alexander would be laughing is ass off. 

I’m not frightened of rigging: My current build is the Matchbox 1/32 Tiger Moth that I am completing as a floatplane. I’m merrily gouging out the appalling cockpit sidewalls to add detail, fabricating a new seat to accurise the rear cockpit, turning ‘compasses’ to replace the molded on detail on the instrument panels, drilling out the holes for the EZ line in the wings and scribing new panel lines onto the floats that are devoid of any features. I’ve actually come to the conclusion it is actually a good basis for a decent build. 

But I truly wonder when I will take a deep breath and crack open the Felixstowe. But I keep saying to myself: ‘no, not yet...let’s get better at [insert technique here] by trying it out on a horrible kit of an aircraft I like’...like this Tiger Moth here. I buy the WNWs and the Tamiyas of the world and then build the Matchbox and ancient Airfix kits....:frantic:

My wife thinks I’m deranged. Maybe she’s right! One thing I do know however is that none of my kits are for sale. My stash is just 39 kits (cue laughter at the back from those with serious collections). Yes there will be a few more added for sure as we are seeing some releases I never thought would appear but the WNW kits are here until they’re built.....(in 2039) :mental:

Edited by Archimedes
typo

4 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

My only question and this is not to flair this into a heated debate is,

"Is this greed or are they actually going to build those kits?"

Why should it matter? And if you don’t desire a heated debate, why choose such the pejorative term “greed’? If they’re purchased for resale at a potential profit that simply makes them a commodity, subject to “supply & demand.”

True. I do like the "two per" limit at this time, as I Do want a couple of kits, yet am not in it for the speculation.

As an aside: I would not start my WNW build selection with the Felixstowe; maybe an Albie or a Camel.

My only comment is: another model shop to check out! His Phoenix store is only about 20-30 minutes from my house! Well, once I get back to AZ, I am in OR right now...

At least I got the WNW kits I wanted when they first came out so don't need to join the rush.

I was finally able to snag a Felixstowe, and got a post-war Ninak too!  Was slightly bummed that I missed the post-war Bristol by seconds, but maybe I'll be able to hunt one down in the future.  That and the Le Rhone Camel are all that's left on my list to buy, since I know finding an early Fe.2b is like asking for world peace and chocolate rainbows.

Matt 

16 hours ago, cbk57 said:

If that were the test, how many of us could buy another kit?  Most of us buy out of greed knowing we may never be able to build what we buy.  It just happens individuals buying wow kits are hoarding them to make money.  I find it hard to begrudge them as I have two on my shelf that I am now going to sit on a while.  

I too agree with what you are saying cbk.  I have two in my stash pile that I will build one day.

12 hours ago, Rob Owens said:

Why should it matter? And if you don’t desire a heated debate, why choose such the pejorative term “greed’? If they’re purchased for resale at a potential profit that simply makes them a commodity, subject to “supply & demand.”

Hi Rob, maybe the term "greed" is a broad term to use but seeing items in the past selling for ridiculous amounts on Ebay ie Cutting Edge.  One has to wonder the reasoning behind such a knee jerk reaction.  I just think that sometimes we are all stunned by such passion of purchase.

12 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

True. I do like the "two per" limit at this time, as I Do want a couple of kits, yet am not in it for the speculation.

As an aside: I would not start my WNW build selection with the Felixstowe; maybe an Albie or a Camel.

Hi Mike - thanks and I agree!  I’m thinking that the Hansa Brandenburg W.29 is probably the place to start but an Albatros or the one Camel I have may be equally good. Back to wrestling with my Matchbox Tiger Moth for now!

3 hours ago, Andreas Beck said:

still some available with original pricing from a most reliable dealer. Also fair international shipping rates :

https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Hersteller/Wingnut-Wings?fbclid=IwAR1TzDi2w0gVkSG6E4uZhbKzVhSVg6RQvLOkFUHrJyNNVYB-7on8XsnyIFc

Glad that you mentioned MBK; they had the other half of Andy's shipment on sale for a few weeks now, and still have a fair amount of stock at standard euro prices.

Either Europeans don't do hair-on-fire panic buying :frantic: or more likely I've found that German websites present an initial language barrier that simply puts them off most people's radar. Picked up a camel a snipe and a Salmson (love the Salmson, such a sleeper) for msrp and got DHL shipping for 1euro. 

How is that for on the up and up?

Edited by Basta
Correcting autocorrect

The kits are going to turn up again, under another label. Whether the plastic is as good, whether the moulds are equally well maintained, what the box and decals are like, who knows?

But you'll be able to have your cake and eat it by building the repops and lovingly preserving the too-good-to-use WingNutWings originals.

Winner-winner 

Tony