1:32 scale Ansaldo 'Baby'

sandbagger

Hi all,
The linen effect decals I was waiting for arrived so I've now finished applying them to the fuselage, wings, tail plane and control surfaces.
The Ansaldo built 'Baby's' were primarily used for training and probably flown multiple times daily.
It's probable they were not kept as clean as maybe the operational aircraft were.
Therefore I've intentionally applied heavier weathering than I normally would,
Ansaldo built aircraft tended not to have the white vertical rudder stripe painted, but instead left it as clear doped linen.
Also, it was common for the upper surfaces of the lower wings to be doped with a drab olive colour, as the glare from a clear doped linen surface could affect the pilot's vision.

Mike

weather1.jpg

weather2.jpg

weather3.jpg

weather4.jpg

weather5.jpg

weather6.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I'm now working on the tail unit, starting with the rear float.
First is to pre-rig the eight bracing wires between the four support struts.
The mono-filament used is 0.08 mm diameter with 0.4 Nickel-Silver tube and 1:48th scale turnbuckles from 'GasPatch'.
Next step is to fit the float and struts then complete the rigging from the fuselage to the float,

Mike

rigging3.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
The bracing for the tail float is now done, apart from painting the tubing.
I'm now working on the tail float rudder and aircraft rudder/brace bar (which is not included in the kit).
There are several problems with the tail float rudder, which required modification using micro-tube, drilling of location hole and reprofiling the rear face of the tail float.
Also the creation of the aircraft rudder/brace bar, which also required a hole drilling,

Mike

rigging5.jpg

floatrudder2.jpg

rudderbracebar.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
The tail unit is complete now.
Rigging is 0.08 mm mono-filament for the control lines and float bracing wires - Fin bracing is 0.12 mm.
Tubing is Nickel-Silver 0.4 mm diameter.
I replaced the float rudder operating bar with tubing and had to create the rudder/fin bracing bar (not included in the kit).
The tail plane support struts in the kit is just brass rod, so I made aerofoil struts from tube with internal support rod.

Mike

taildone1.jpg

taildone2.jpg

taildone3.jpg

taildone4.jpg

taildone5.jpg

taildone6.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Superb stuff there!  The linen texture decals are very nicely done - really looks “printed” on to the surface of the kit.

where do you source your rigging supplies?  Any good tutorials you can recommend?  I’ve got a biplane up next and this really isn’t my area of expertise.

8 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Always exceptional work on unusual planes.  Like seeing the Baby come together.

What do the linen decals look like in person?  They seem a little bit coarse on the screen, but they might be way more subtle in person.

Matt

Hi Matt,

In general the 'Aviattic' linen effect decal range are fairly subtle in appearance, especially when applied over darker coloured base coats.

On this model I used the clear linen effect only decal (no colour tint) over the tan base coat.

As such the linen effect does stand out a bit more than other applications, but I think the close up photos make it stand out more.

In person it's not so obvious,

Mike

9 hours ago, Alex said:

Superb stuff there!  The linen texture decals are very nicely done - really looks “printed” on to the surface of the kit.

where do you source your rigging supplies?  Any good tutorials you can recommend?  I’ve got a biplane up next and this really isn’t my area of expertise.

Hi Alex,

The materials you use really depend on the method you use to rig the aircraft.

I have in the past made my own turnbuckles from micro-tube and copper wire, but for a long time now use those from 'GasPatch' (resin or metal).

I use their 1:48th scale types as I think their 1:32nd scale types are over sized.

The micro-tube I use (Brass, Nickel-Silver, Aluminium) is from 'Albion Alloy's' (range of tube or rod from 0.1 mm diameter).

The rigging line I use is mono-filament (fishing line), which is easier to thread through tube and turnbuckles and gives structural strength to the completed model.

For controls and some bracing I use 'Stroft GTM' 0.08 mm diameter.

For structural rigging I use 'Steelon' 0.12 mm diameter.

When airbrushed with a semi-matte coat the filament dulls back with less sheen.

My signature link takes you to my site where, in the gallery's, you'll see PDF icons against various builds.

Each build log is fully detailed on that build and includes full details of the rigging methods etc.

If you want, just click on any PDF icon to view or download the build log.  

Also here's a link to a good rigging guide, made by a great modeller over on the WW1 Aircraft Forum.

It describes the various common methods for rigging models.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7902.0

Mike

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I've completed pre-rigging the fuselage and wings, apart from the main floats and ailerons.
The rigging is 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament with 'Gaspatch' 1:48th scale turnbuckles and anchor points.
The next step is the fitting of the upper wing before final rigging,

Mike

rigging10.jpg

rigging11.jpg

rigging12.jpg

rigging13.jpg

rigging14.jpg

rigging15.jpg

Edited by sandbagger