Tangmere Aviation Museum: now with pictures!

can you actually take pictures in there?

a lot of the museums don't allow any pictures at all on grounds of stopping theft to order

i think that's pretty weak myself - if someone really is going to go to the trouble of theft to order, banning photos is not going to stop them

but anyhoo, I hope you have a good trip and if you can, please do snap as much as you can

11 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

can you actually take pictures in there?

a lot of the museums don't allow any pictures at all on grounds of stopping theft to order

i think that's pretty weak myself - if someone really is going to go to the trouble of theft to order, banning photos is not going to stop them

but anyhoo, I hope you have a good trip and if you can, please do snap as much as you can

Nowhere on their website does it say "No photography allowed" Nick, so I take that negative as a positive!

cool - sounds like you should be ok in that case

i think the Hawkinge BoB Museum should take note

this is not far away from me but it really riles me I can't take any pics so have never visited

http://www.kbobm.org/ - they have a huge no photos notice that dominates their landing page

meh

That'll larn me to post before first cuppa.

Yes the guys are right, one of the very rare Sapphire engined Hunters, F5 WP190 is preserved at Tangmere in 1 Sqn's Suez campaign markings.

The F5 was a step upgrade of the similarly powered F2 and was significant in not suffering the engine choking on gun gas problem when the cannon were fired which plagued early Avon powered Hunters' As might be imagined a fighter that flies beautifully but goes full stupid when called upon to actually shoot something down might be seen as a disappointment..

In the end Rolls-Royce solved the Avon's apparently insurmountable problems by essentially attaching a Sapphire compressor section to it.

Had a super day at Tangmere today.  The museum was more limited than it normally would be in that a one way system was in place with barriers preventing you getting access to some of the aircraft.  One very helpful guide "closed his eyes" whilst I got up close and personal with the Lightning!  Haven't downloaded my pics yet but will probably edit tomorrow and post tomorrow evening or Thursday.

6 hours ago, mozart said:

Yes indeed, he knew I'd travelled a fair way and that I was a Lightning "fan". 

Good stuff Max!!   Im always glad to hear museums like that being run by fans/enthusiasts of the items they have in the museum.  Glad they let you up close and personal 

OK, I've sorted my pictures - there are 120 of them which is far too many to add here so I think the sensible thing would be to add them to the "Walkarounds" section of the website, and I'll add a representative sample here to whet your whistles!

The typical Receiver/Transmitter system in use during WW2, 1943ish onwards.  I've taken individual pictures of each unit within the system Thierry.  I'll send you the whole lot too:

RuOm4s.jpg

Flying helmets throughout the ages:

9BAuGi.jpg

The remains of one of Tangmere's BoB Hurricanes:

FivAB5.jpg

NU8ffh.jpg

FVnZ3S.jpg

Phantom!:

psI5JS.jpg

Tuol4G.jpg

gp7s2v.jpg

b8SGOL.jpg

Hurricane I (replica):

HVeGNl.jpg

QQdexv.jpg

4MOzx0.jpg

jO7Ssj.jpg

Spitfire prototype (replica):

fANd5U.jpg

VpH9HS.jpg

If92iH.jpg

04QLeL.jpg

Hunter F5, best I could do I'm afraid.....no access to Sapphire end of things!

CLkEb9.jpg

QLiAqx.jpg

b380IR.jpg

frXXwD.jpg

LIGHTNING!!! 

SlZIDj.jpg

2mceQA.jpg

m7XwkD.jpg

bw2XVP.jpg

RTcj3V.jpg

Edited by mozart

2 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Nice photos Max, looks like you had a nice day, the  museum seems a bit of a tight squeeze, but at least it's there to house those beauties, which is, erm... Nice! 

Now Andy.....three "nices" in one sentence!  Good job you weren't in my class, you'd have been in the naughty corner!!