Tangmere Aviation Museum: now with pictures!

I just booked a slot at Tangmere Aviation Museum next Monday morning at 11.20, it's been closed for months due to the winter closure + Covid.  I'm going especially to look at their Lightning and Hurricane for present and future builds, but if anybody wants me to photograph or note anything else there, please let me know.

Edited by mozart

I agree, it's a very nice museum, but the very interesting aspect is that it was indeed a "forward-battle-of-brittain" base, and that the lay-out of the former airfield has been more or less contained in the layout of the present village......

10 minutes ago, Jack said:

I agree, it's a very nice museum, but the very interesting aspect is that it was indeed a "forward-battle-of-brittain" base, and that the lay-out of the former airfield has been more or less contained in the layout of the present village......

I also seem to recall it was a refuelling stop/fob for the special ops Lysanders from Tempsford.

I recall reading that they held parts from John Cocks Hurricane, after they were dragged up from the Channel.

John was apparently one of Wicks victims, shot down during the Battle of Britain, but survived and returned to watch bits of his Hurricane being recovered.

I would be interested to know if that is the case, if you are able to enquire?

I went to school in Chichester a few miles away from Tangmere and my Science teacher Mr Murch was an integral part of the museum back in the day - if you see any sectioned engines or interactive gadgets he would have been the guy

He used to hold an after school thing where we flew electric planes around a pole - brings back memories- enjoy it :)

Peter 

7 hours ago, Pete Roberts said:

I recall reading that they held parts from John Cocks Hurricane, after they were dragged up from the Channel.

John was apparently one of Wicks victims, shot down during the Battle of Britain, but survived and returned to watch bits of his Hurricane being recovered.

I would be interested to know if that is the case, if you are able to enquire?

That could well be the case Pete because I remember seeing the mangled remains of a Hurricane on display back in ‘87. I’ll look carefully! 

5 minutes ago, Chek said:

Any nice clear close ups of the Sapphire engine vents and intakes just above below and aft of the wings would be very welcome.

Very happy to oblige Chek, but......umm.....forgive my ignorance......what plane are we talking about here? :blush:

58 minutes ago, crobinsonh said:

I suspect this might be the Hunter  F5

Just now, MikeC said:

I suspect you're right.

I then have my suspicions that you may both be right! I’m gradually learning a bit more about those blow torch things but it’s hard work for an elderly dyed in the wool prop man!