Leading edge tape on Vietnam era A-6A''s color?

I've been trying to decide on an accurate color for the leading edge tape on Intruders. My decal instructions say it's a metallic color. Looking at bunches of photos most look like a tan color. Definitely darker than radome tan but I can't really see a metallic sheen. Do any of you guys have some insight on a fairly close color?

29 minutes ago, Finn said:

The tape was applied to the forward edge of the pylons as well:

1089335.jpg

Here is another one:

1159742.jpg

You can see a darker grey on the outer wing.

Edit: one more:

Over_Vietnam.jpg

Jari

Great pictures Jari. It does look like a metallic gray color. I didn't know the LE's of the pylons got the tape too. Thank you.

Like other USN aircraft during that time the original leading edges were Corogard, not a tape. In some photos, the metallic coat could look light or dark depending on light, angle, wear, etc.

The Corogard appeared to "go" around 1968/69 from what I've seen. After that in the late 60s to early 70s it looked more like a possible hodge podge (pylons may not have visible but wings do, and vice versa) or just normal grey/white camo. Exceptions I've seen are USMC ones in particular in late 60s that did have some other tan/brown "stuff" (tape or some other coating?) that was used on some leading edges, and also on the intakes. In the examples I've seen, I don't recall seeing USN ones at the same period with this (not saying it didn't happen, just seems rarer than the USMC ones at the same time in Vietnam). The example above from Jari shows an example of this brownish coating on the intakes of the VMA-225 head on photo.

Here are some other examples showing the progression:

VMA-AW-533, 1967-68 (152xxx series):

cor1.jpg

as above:

cor2.jpg

But by 1968-69 no more (different/newer aircraft, 154xxx series):

cor3.jpg

as above:

cor4.jpg

Here's another USMC example from same period that looks to have the usual Corogard on wings but the brown on the pylons:

cor5.jpg

VA-65 with Corogard in 1967:

cor7.jpg

VA-65 showing normal white camo leading edge pylon in 1970:

cor6.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

3 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Like other USN aircraft during that time the original leading edges were Corogard, not a tape. In some photos, the metallic coat could look light or dark depending on light, angle, wear, etc.

The Corogard appeared to "go" around 1968/69 from what I've seen. After that in the late 60s to early 70s it looked more like a possible hodge podge (pylons may not have visible but wings do, and vice versa) or just normal grey/white camo. Exceptions I've seen are USMC ones in particular in late 60s that did have some other tan/brown "stuff" (tape or some other coating?) that was used on some leading edges, and also on the intakes. In the examples I've seen, I don't recall seeing USN ones at the same period with this (not saying it didn't happen, just seems rarer than the USMC ones at the same time in Vietnam). The example above from Jari shows an example of this brownish coating on the intakes of the VMA-225 head on photo.

Here are some other examples showing the progression:

VMA-AW-533, 1967-68 (152xxx series):

cor1.jpg

as above:

cor2.jpg

But by 1968-69 no more (different/newer aircraft, 154xxx series):

cor3.jpg

as above:

cor4.jpg

Here's another USMC example from same period that looks to have the usual Corogard on wings but the brown on the pylons:

cor5.jpg

VA-65 with Corogard in 1967:

cor7.jpg

VA-65 showing normal white camo leading edge pylon in 1970:

cor6.jpg

More great info Ziggy. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. If you ever want to know about steam propulsion on US Navy ships I'm your man. Where the heck do you guys find these great detail photos? All I ever turn up online is shots showing the whole plane and when you zoom in they fall apart. Most books are not much better. The plane I'm building is VA-145 Swordsman flying off USS Ranger around 1971/72.

1 hour ago, AlbertD said:

More great info Ziggy. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. If you ever want to know about steam propulsion on US Navy ships I'm your man. Where the heck do you guys find these great detail photos? All I ever turn up online is shots showing the whole plane and when you zoom in they fall apart. Most books are not much better. The plane I'm building is VA-145 Swordsman flying off USS Ranger around 1971/72.

I cropped the full size images I posted to show the detail in question, they were all overall plane pics. I've gathered many hundreds of photos of A-6s from Vietnam, but mainly from specific squadrons to do the decals for. Unfortunately I don't remember the sources for them all.

I've not looked much into VA-145 from 1971-72, but based on the squadrons I do have coverage of, I'd be surprised to see that they had Corogard leading edges by that timeframe you're modeling. Here's one from 145's time on the Enterprise in 1969 and there was no Coragard on their wings even then (posted on facebook):

145-69.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos