Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

Just because it’s soooooo sexy...

22 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Found on the FB SR-71 group today..

It's a John Dunnell photo, expertly grabbed at the 1986 Mildenhall Air Fête. Peter Davies and I used it in the 1988 book Lockheed Blackbirds.

Sooo looking forward to the Revell 1/48 kit slated for release next year. And seeing what Booby Hoss do with the U-2R.

Tony

I ordered a set of Metallic Details grilles, nozzles and intake spikes for the Italeri kit.

I've never wanted to build it since seeing the complex bleed hole patterns on the shoulders of the real spikes, but MD seem to have achieved that level of detail.

9 hours ago, Tony T said:

It's a John Dunnell photo, expertly grabbed at the 1986 Mildenhall Air Fête. Peter Davies and I used it in the 1988 book Lockheed Blackbirds.

Sooo looking forward to the Revell 1/48 kit slated for release next year. And seeing what Booby Hoss do with the U-2R.

Tony

I was there!  Great photo.

Likewise, eagerly awaiting the Revell kit.  It will be an interesting comparison with the old Testors, which I built some years ago.

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

I was there!  Great photo.

Likewise, eagerly awaiting the Revell kit.  It will be an interesting comparison with the old Testors, which I built some years ago.

And it had the two-seat option for the bast**d. I built the Italeri boxing in 1984-85 and quite literally sprayed it in thinned blackboard paint. Looked super (until I glossed it and botched the decals, which were far better in the contemporary gargantuan Testors edition, long since given away half-built). The nose chines were all wrong.

2 hours ago, jenshb said:

Hypersonic Models are also working on a 1:48th kit. Knowing their high quality standards, that should be quite something.

Gonna get both Hypersonic and Revell kits and build one using the best parts from both. A YF-12 with missile bays would be good — can't remember if the AIM-47 Super Falcons were one per bay or whether there was a rotary launcher proposed for the would be production F-12B. ADCOM were slated to get 93 of them at one time!

Tony 

I've been in touch with Jeffrey at Hypersonic, and I think his 1/48 Habu is going to be a **killer** kit.  He's working with the guy from Gaspatch in Greece, and I think it's a contest between the two of them as to who is more anal-retentive about getting the details right :)  Really looking forward to seeing the kit.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

First flown a week after I was born!

I feel that way about the McDonnell F4H-1 Phantom and Blackburn Buccaneer. 

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I've been in touch with Jeffrey at Hypersonic, and I think his 1/48 Habu is going to be a **killer** kit.  He's working with the guy from Gaspatch in Greece, and I think it's a contest between the two of them as to who is more anal-retentive about getting the details right :)  Really looking forward to seeing the kit.

You are probably right, but the Revell will be good practise. 

Tony 

The most disappointing part of the Testors kit, at the time of its release, was how badly they messed up the forward cockpit/windscreen/canopy shape and proportions...our little airplane group in Minnesota had copies of the SR-71 drawings that John Lear had done for Testors, and they were fantastic(!); and we collectively were so jazzed for that kit with much anticipation...then when the plastic was released, it didn't resemble John's drawings at any location...but I always thought the worst was the front canopy. That is where the eyes are drawn first, when looking at the overall airframe, and defines the 'sinister' look of the Blackbird. Would be great if someone captured the shape and proportions of the Blackbird, in any scale. Just putting a black dagger-shaped chunk of plastic on wheels and calling it a Blackbird is just such a disappointment.

Edited by cmayer