poster putty masking

I used poster putty or Blue Tack, as I've seen it referred to, to mask a cockpit. I must have left it on too long because when I removed it, it left a lot of residue behind that I've found difficult to remove. I don't want to use a solvent for fear of damaging the paint work. any suggestions? thanks in advance

Did it leave pieces of the actual tac behind, or is it just a discoloration?

If its prices of tac, tac always sticks to itself better than anything.

If it's a discoloration and you haven't cleared it, you might try color sanding the finish with 6000, 8000 or 12000 wet/dry, then flat/gloss clear from there.

I usually do a gloss layer under the tac, as it doesnt like flats much.

On 7/31/2020 at 5:00 PM, justplanecrazy said:

Thanks for your help. I was able to clean it up with a chiseled tooth pick and swearing....saved it from the SOD!

Pretty sure it was the swearing that did the trick. That's the technique I seem to have the most success with...:D

On 7/31/2020 at 4:00 PM, justplanecrazy said:

Thanks for your help. I was able to clean it up with a chiseled tooth pick and swearing....saved it from the SOD!

The swearing does help!  If you see this issue next time, & see chunks of blu tack left, take a big wad of the blu tack and push it down into the bits left on the model.............blu tack seems to stick to itself better than anything.