Greyhound -An Apple original film

Troy Molitor

Hoping this is the right venue for this topic.  

Has anyone seen the Greyhound film yet?  Holy smokes!  The battle of the North Atlantic was brutal.  Tom Hanks does another epic performance here.   

No spoiler announcements but quite an epic movie in these strange times.  My wife was watching her reality "whatever" and I put my ear plugs in and 

watched it on my laptop.  I found myself screaming out loud a few times with the open ocean action going on.  The struggles from all sides is witnessed.  

Highly recommended .  I rented this direct from Apple and suggest you do the same if slightly interested.  

Troy  

My wife and i watched it just the other day. Completely agree with you, Hanks puts in a wonderful portrayal, the tension does not stop for a minute the whole movie! Beautiful cinematography, as well! I highly recommend this movie. The Battle of the North Atlantic really was hell!

In this environment.  The film industry struggling.  I rented this film w/o hesitation and was blown away with the drama / script throughout the entire film.  Pure entertainment.  Will it make any money?  I hope so.  Riveting throughout the entire film.  The classic British humor at the end of the film is priceless.   Carry on.  

Great film, I really enjoyed it.

What surprised me was the Cat dropping most of its depth charges to kill one sub.

One or two sure, but it struck me as a long way home to reload to take on the rest of the pack.

Not that I would know or anything.

I have not seen it but hope to. I understand it will be available on disc and probably Netflix in the not to distant future.

My father was a merchant sailor on Liberty Ships and troop transports. He said they would go on deck before sunset for a smoke and count the ships in the convoy. When they came up in the morning they would count again and often they were missing at least a couple. He did the Murmansk run and helped take off wounded on D-Day. I have his shipping papers and have been able to track some of his routes using the ship names and dates he was aboard. He was only 15 when he joined. The military would not take him.

Edited by AlbertD

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Yeah, I don't have Apple TV, and am not going to get it.  I'll be interested to see it if/when it comes to another platform though.

I do have to say I was a bit disappointed in the trailer when I saw the U-boat with the giant wolf's head painted on the sail.  A historical inaccuracy that they didn't need to include.  Aside from that though (and yes, that's a total geek thing) it does look like a ripping yarn.

Whenever I come out with that sort of observation, MrsC tells me to "Take your anorak off, dear."  :)

I thought that Greyhound was a good movie. As previously stated, even my wife who traditionally does not like 'war' movies, enjoyed it. I felt it was done well and worth seeing. Sure there were some things that were either technically or historically debatable in it. Debatable because most of us on this forum have deeper knowledge on this subject than the average viewer. Tom Hanks' character was believable. The CG was very well done......for CG. Bottom line, Watch it....formulate your own opinion.

Really enjoyed to watch it.  Sure its not documentary movie but I think that Hanks made another great war movie for broader audience.

great sequences, even I think that close battle of surfaced u-boot with corvette and destroyer at the end was too much. 

Few nice shots of PBY at the beginning motivated myself to work again on my HPH PBY :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I do have to say I was a bit disappointed in the trailer when I saw the U-boat with the giant wolf's head painted on the sail.  A historical inaccuracy that they didn't need to include.  Aside from that though (and yes, that's a total geek thing) it does look like a ripping yarn.

Yah, I saw that trailer as well and that silly Hollywood touch turned me off.   Based on the feedback from this thread, I might give this one a chance after all.   Semi-OT but does anyone know what the status is on that 8th AF series that was originally going to be on HBO?