Kitty Hawk OS2U Kingfisher - S.O.D. resurrection

Grunticus

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great work!

Sad about the gloss.......was it humid when you shot it?

Sometimes high humidity can cause "blooming" in clears like that

No, not at all. I did thin the paint with MRP’s own thinner for the first time, to achieve an even smoother coat than straight from the bottle. I did not repeat on the repaint I did. We will see how it reacts to MRP’s Sloan coat this time.

FAA Kingfishers didn’t have the sight mounted on the nose, and the associated hole I the windscreen. Until now I wanted to accept this inaccuracy because cutting a perfectly clear canopy seemed too daunting to me. I also thought about a method for filling the hole in de windscreen but still it seemed too risky to tackle. Now, on second thought, I realized I will never gain experience in this field if I don’t try. So let’s just do it.

The least daunting to me was removing the windscreen. Drilling all round and then cutting and sanding. The plastic is of course very brittle, so I took care. This worked out well even when the lower front frame broke in the middle. Easy fix. Lower in the photo you can see the replacement screen, cut out from acetate sheet that came from a blister pack of something. I dipped it in future to enhance clarity.

EGg4ZYw.jpg?1

I carefully sanded the windscreen a little at a time, constantly test-fitting until I achieved an acceptable fit.

MX1Xg9a.jpg?2

To permanently attach it I will use this product from VMS. I use their various superglues to satisfaction and ordered it on a whim after seeing their YouTube plug about it.

sNVqJdR.jpg?1

Fingers s crossed.....

Very cool, and quite daring on such a fragile and visible part!

I usually fix clear parts with either Revell Aqua clear gloss (thick, slightly less clear) or Tamiya X-22 gloss. Unless you pull really, really hard (damaging the part anyway) they are really stuck.

I also use that for armoured glass, PE/Acetate WWI windscreens, etc.

The base coat and airbrushed main markings are on. Had a blast masking, removing, and remasking to get things done, especially the type C1 fuselage roundels, but they sure are nice this way. Colors used were MRP marking yellow, red, and blue. I think they are a very good match, much more so than the kit decals but that is not surprising.

SnUlHXk.jpg?1

Edited by Grunticus
Spelling