1/18 Scale Me 262

MitchellB25

If it's anything like the Fw 190 A5 and A8 they released it's just an unpainted version of the old 21st century toy molds.

The exterior is ok, not sure on how accurate it is. Don't expect much of anything for the cockpit, wheel wheels or engine.  

Unless your replacing all those sections with scratch building. Which is what I'm having to do with my FW 190  A8.

It might make an ok ceiling hanger model. 

Edited by mash3d
Spelling

I searched 1/18 Me 262 before the post but found nothing.   The main gear door covers should be in two parts.  the 21st and Admirals both have them as one piece.  Not an impossible fix.  Beyond that, they got a lot of it pretty close for a toy.  I thought 21st Century's 1/18  jets near the end were some of their best.

I have personally taken apart a 21st Century pre-finished model. It is the 21st Century Toys mold, but doesn't include the bombs, or pilot figure. Additionally,  the decal sheet has werk numbers that are in an.... interesting font selection :rolleyes:

https://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=64186.0

I agree, though, that the 262's were the creme of the crop when it came to 21st Century 1/18 aircraft.

Edited by B-17

There seems to be an uplift in interest for 1/18 scale aircraft recently.

I have all of the currently available models still in their boxes in the stash and waiting for their big day!

I like them, they have great potential for those with detailing skills or just for building right from the box.

A friend of mine built the FW190A-8 and I liked the presentation so much I decided to get the others to go with it.

Next up will be the F-86 Sabre when it arrives as it is one of my favourite jet types!

I can see this range expanding further as sales are on the up from years back it seems. 

For fighters this scale really can pop when built. 

I wish HB luck with their releases, looking forward to more from them for sure!  :)

I'm pretty sure there is a direct correlation between Age, Eyesight and Model Scale 

55/15 = 3.6x real world Scale...... yeah that about matches what I can see.  :)

When the 21st century toys were popular I saw a few people take them and rebuild/repaint them.

The Hasbro Millenium Falcon toy stills make a good looking large scale model but it takes a lot of work. 

With the advent of affordable 3d printers it's now possible to correct the lack of details and mistakes kit 

manufactures make. At least I think so. I'll let you know when I have my FW 190 A8 done.

For fun I like to work out how big some things would be at different scales

B-24 wing span 110 feet @ 1/18 scale = 6.08 Feet 

Zeppelin Strakken wing span  138 feet @ 1/8th = 7.6 Feet 

B-52 wing span 185 feet @ 1/18 scale =  10.27 feet

Zeppelin L30 Length 650 feet @ 1/18th scale = 36.11 feet 

On 7/24/2020 at 2:44 PM, mash3d said:

If it's anything like the Fw 190 A5 and A8 they released it's just an unpainted version of the old 21st century toy molds.

The exterior is ok, not sure on how accurate it is. Don't expect much of anything for the cockpit, wheel wheels or engine.  

Unless your replacing all those sections with scratch building. Which is what I'm having to do with my FW 190  A8.

It might make an ok ceiling hanger model. 

This is incorrect. I was an avid 21st Century collector and they never produced the 190A in 1/18 scale (only the D model). Merit International was the company that bought many of the old 21st molds and actually produced the 190 as a new kit after 21st Century's demise. I would not be surprised if the Me262 is the old 21st Century mold though with maybe a few Merit/Hobby Boss tweeks.

Thank you I did not know that. I thought 21st century toys were they only one doing 1/18th scale aircraft.

But I wasn't much into them either. I thought they were neat but way too large to keep in a small apartment. 

I do have a Merit international 1/24th Fokker DR 1. The Fokker suffers the same problem.

Incorrect or lack of details were it would really help sell the model. 

6 hours ago, mash3d said:

Thank you I did not know that. I thought 21st century toys were they only one doing 1/18th scale aircraft.

But I wasn't much into them either. I thought they were neat but way too large to keep in a small apartment. 

I do have a Merit international 1/24th Fokker DR 1. The Fokker suffers the same problem.

Incorrect or lack of details were it would really help sell the model. 

Well, the discussion about detail/accuracy of HB kits runs on continually!

Maybe (with exceptions here) if modellers looked upon a kit as a starting point or canvas for a detailed and improved version that could be completed in a longer time maybe it might be better accepted.

I'm not talking about models that are so inaccurate that you'd never consider buying it, no, I'm saying if you consider yourself as not a 'box shaker' and consider yourself a 'modeller' there are improvements that can be made in so many ways.

Don't let some conversations stop you having a go if your comfortable with what's offered

I don't know your capabilities or experience, but with a little more perseverance some of these kits can be made into something really nice! 

Welcome to the forum btw! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to it coming out. I thought they were supposed to be out this month but haven't seen any for sale in the states at least. I wonder if they'll ever come out with their 1/18 P-51 Mustang in kit form

I got the 21st version many years ago. the overall the shapes seem to be pretty good, I never did any measuring but it looks the part, no real strange looking shapes or things. The panel lines are very heavy though and need a lot toning down. It also suffers from thick trailing edges on the flying surfaces, the leading edge slats are separate/movable. The landing gear are a bit heavy looking, vinyl tires, wheel hubs are decent looking. The  cockpit is ok for what it is but it can be certainly super detailed better. There is a seam on mine on both sides of the fuselage from the cockpit  sills back to the tail that was where the 2 seat version cockpit was to go, I don't know if they got rid of the separate parts on the "KIT" version of this or not, it took a lot of good strong gluing and sanding to get the seam to go away. Overall I would say it's a good start to work from though.

Pat

Edited by patricksparks