EA-6B Prowler (02 April: Done!)

easixpedro

Alrighty then,

Had a spare moment tonight and managed to lay down an initial coat of gray paint.  My trusty friend, Model Master paints are no more, so it's time to venture into the bold new world of acrylics.  Sprayed easy enough. Clean up is a breeze. Not sure I'm happy with the color though...in the end, it likely won't matter much as I'm about to beat the snot out of this w/ weathering and chipping etc.  And lets be honest:  any color will be shifted by looking through the gold canopies!  So I'm pressing forward.

Realized I'd never shown a shot of the individual assemblies.  Here they are--you can get an idea of how it all slides together.  Center console is attached, and these slide in, then the side consoles slide in from underneath.  Of course, I'll have to do some feckling w/ the backsides, as that's somewhat visible through the front canopy.  I'll tackle that once I get it built up and can see how much. Personally, I'm floored at how good these look--didn't think I had it in me. But they look pretty darned good under a coat of paint.  Hopefully I can pick out details and make 'em really pop.  

20210329_191337

And everything together:

20210329_191404

If you look to the left of the canopy handles, that's a caution light panel.  I was stumped on how to replicate that. Thought it over for a bit and crimped some foil from a Whiskey bottle in a pair of needle nose pliers. It left just enough of an indent to look like the individual rectangular lights. Tough to see here, but I think it looks the part.

20210329_191150

And the bulkhead.  I added the control rods (or representations thereof) that are located behind ECMO-3s seat. No fly by wire in the old girl. All steam gauges and old school bell cranks and pulleys stemming from the control stick! She was a beast to get aboard for a reason... Fun fact:  those control rods could be reached by a talented and limber ECMO-3. Just reach behind the seat and push or pull and watch the hilarity ensue as pilot induced oscillations began!  

20210329_191214

Also added the little trapezoid shaped attachment points for the ejection seats.  Most kits miss these, especially the pipes attached to 'em. Those were color coded and corresponded to the ejection seats which were also color coded. Each seat was designed to exit at a certain angle to ensure the crew didn't collide on the way out and up. They were installed at some point in the 80s after a crew went flying after major maintenance and the error was realized after they landed. Fortunately nothing happened, but it was a wakeup call, and was an easy way to check on pre-flight.  I'll go over the colors when I paint 'em. 

Enough rambling by me...I'll share more as I get around to painting everything.  Also debating taking a burr chucked in my dremel and going after the seats--maybe hollow them out a bit and shave some weight off them. They're pretty hefty and a few grams that far forward would be a bit of insurance.  No one will notice if I do it correctly, so stay tuned for that as well.

-Peter

And, I'm a maroon!

Was just picking up after posting this and realized why the color was off--I shot it in Dark Ghost Gray, not Dark Gull Gray (FS36321). Both bottles were sitting side by side and I grabbed the wrong one. I was thinking it was bluer than I remembered...well that's why!  

Oh well, minor set back. Even though I said I'd press, I'll reshoot this. I'm not happy with it. It'll still get beat up and covered up under gold canopies, but to come this far and shrug it off isn't in my nature.  I'm not in a rush, so will take time to do it right. Important tip though, check your colors prior to painting.

-Peter

4 hours ago, jmel said:

I love this project!!  I can't wait to see what's next.

Jake

Thanks Jake! Slow and steady in the cockpits for now. Want to get this section done before moving forward into the front cockpit.

Looking great, somehow I'd always imagined the Prowler cockpits would have looked, well, more advanced, given it's role :) Nice work though!

Regarding the colour, I made a similar mistake on a 1/72 Academy F-4J I'm changing to an F-4S with spare Hasegawa parts (can't leave a model alone, can I...) and found that a thin (oil) filter coat of raw umber or simimal dark brownish paint will pull them together really well.

In my case I painted the cockpit parts dark gull, but the sides and bulkheads dark ghost grey. In a much bigger scale I'd be more tempted to repaint it as well, though.

My own model is going rather slowly at the moment, I kept having any paint (mr surfacer, mr color, humbrol, whatever I had on hand) flake off the metal gear so was finally able to track down some Tamiya metal primer that I've just brushed on (I'm a morning off due to having to work tomorrow evening).

Other than that slowly closing the under fuselage panels...

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jeroen

11 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I've done that too , I guess were both morons  :rolleyes:

Heh... easy to do I guess, especially if one's not paying attention or distracted like I most certainly was.

8 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Looking great, somehow I'd always imagined the Prowler cockpits would have looked, well, more advanced, given it's role :) Nice work though!

Regarding the colour, I made a similar mistake on a 1/72 Academy F-4J I'm changing to an F-4S with spare Hasegawa parts (can't leave a model alone, can I...) and found that a thin (oil) filter coat of raw umber or simimal dark brownish paint will pull them together really well.

In my case I painted the cockpit parts dark gull, but the sides and bulkheads dark ghost grey. In a much bigger scale I'd be more tempted to repaint it as well, though.

My own model is going rather slowly at the moment, I kept having any paint (mr surfacer, mr color, humbrol, whatever I had on hand) flake off the metal gear so was finally able to track down some Tamiya metal primer that I've just brushed on (I'm a morning off due to having to work tomorrow evening).

Other than that slowly closing the under fuselage panels...

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jeroen

That's what always intrigued me about these airframes. First ones were cobbled together from original A-6As before they started making them for real. (think about that level of engineering problem, in an era of slide rules and no CAD?!) The very first flight was in May 1968. Vietnam was raging, Nixon hadn't even entered the picture and LBJ had just vowed not to run again.  Crazy to think they flew for almost 50 years. The ICAP II birds I'm doing really came into being in the early 80s, otherwise it was wonderful 60s Tech. The later ICAP III birds went "digital" and those were based off late 90s, early 2000s tech. I can't tell you how happy when we got an electronic attitude gyro--gave us waypoints for the pilot to follow vice a true steering needle. It still boggles my mind that Intruder guys used that technology to fly below 500' at NIGHT.  Prowlers practiced it too, but not to the extent they did. Crazy stuff.

Was able to spray the 'correct' color last night. While no longer blue, it looks really dark. And brown. And nothing like I remember, or the pics I have. I miss my MM colors!:( Will get it sorted though!

-Peter

“My trusty friend, Model Master paints are no more, so it's time to venture into the bold new world of acrylics.  

easixpedro try looking at the enamel line by MCW. They have been expanding to fill the MM void. Limited military colors I think so far but he’s made anything with a standard FS number for me as it’s come up. 

1 hour ago, themongoose said:

“My trusty friend, Model Master paints are no more, so it's time to venture into the bold new world of acrylics.  

easixpedro try looking at the enamel line by MCW. They have been expanding to fill the MM void. Limited military colors I think so far but he’s made anything with a standard FS number for me as it’s come up. 

Or you can try these,

www.lvppaints.com

The 2ounce bottles should last a while. I got a 12oz. spray can of FS 35109, for a BDU-33 that I need to repaint and, the color is spot on when I matched it up to my 595a color chip.

Steve

16 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Was able to spray the 'correct' color last night. While no longer blue, it looks really dark. And brown. And nothing like I remember, or the pics I have. I miss my MM colors!:( Will get it sorted though!

-Peter

bummer :-/

Somehow I've found dark gull grey too dark anyway and usually make it a bit lighter. I was pretty amazed the ghost grey came so close with a brown filter.

For my 1/32 A-6 I used Revell Aqua " mouse grey" , which is just a medium grey with a slight hint of brown in it. After weathering, chipping, filters, etc, the original colour is usually gone anyway!

Hopefully you'll find something that works out :)

• easixpedro changed the title to EA-6B Prowler (5Apr: electrical work)nt)

Fun fact, the Prowler still had Kapton wiring in it when she finally retired. The FAA mandated that airliners stop using it in the 70s after several airliners were lost due to arcing.  Navy was too cheap to replace it.  There was a ton of circuit breakers in the cockpit and there were plenty of warnings saying not to push them in, as lord only knew which ones had kapton and would start an electrical fire...  Made troubleshooting in-flight interesting to say the least.

Stole a page from Timmy! and Pig to work up some of the wiring looms. Easy enough to do. Used this beading wire and wrapped it a bunch of times. Then used lead foil to make the ties.  I 'almost' started to make the cloth ties too, then realized that nothing will be visible. Seriously, with the seats in place only the top 5mm or so will be visible. But dang-nabbit, I know it's in there! I usually don't even paint, let alone detail areas that aren't visible, but OCD got the better of me here.

20210405_182325

20210405_182340

20210405_183104

Next up will be the pneumatic lines that go to the piston in the middle of the cockpit. Not sure how crazy I'll go there after seeing how much is visible.  Probably TLAR, and definitely not making the fittings.

Till then, thanks for following along! 

-Peter

Edited by easixpedro

• easixpedro changed the title to EA-6B Prowler (5Apr: electrical work)