EA-6B Prowler (02 April: Done!)

easixpedro

8 hours ago, jmel said:

Dude, there would be no more impressive model anywhere, ANYWHERE, than a 1/32 Prowler suspended by its hook as it slams down on the deck.  I know it adds work, but you've already done such great work.  You got this!

Jake

I know, I know. Which is why I’m debating...I’ll make either look good, but I wanted to set it aside and give it some thought. She means too much to me. Of course, I can still hose this up with the canopies and jamming pods that I have to make.

in the interim, I got a wild hair somewhere and bought a Tamiya F-4 to make an F-4B scene like I did before. Whenever it shows up it’ll be another WIP to make people wonder about my sanity.

-Peter

• easixpedro changed the title to EA-6B Prowler (20Jan21: Way Forward)

OK.

After mulling it over, and second guessing myself etc. I think I'm set.  

I say second guessing--was wondering if my hook would actually work. In my mind, yes. But I set out to check it.  Grabbed a piece of scrap lumber and drilled a hole to accept the tailhook and set it in place.  Then started adding parts--just a close approximation mind you. I don't want to cut every piece of the sprues to tape them on etc. Surprisingly sturdy (hook is tacked in place w/ superglue--it'll get a TON of JB Weld when the time comes). I'll still have to watch my weight, which means no aftermarket resin (e.g. intakes or ALQ-99 pods or drop tanks to fix the Trumpeter anemia).

Here's photo proof (otherwise it didn't happen right?!):

20210120_084956

20210120_085015

Might look like a pretty steep angle, but the Prowler was a beast to get aboard (take a good airframe and modify it etc.). So much so, that for the last 25 years or so of it's service life, the student Naval Aviators with the best landing grades at the boat usually selected Prowlers--much to their dismay. Most wanted jets to become fighter pilots and then the Navy rewarded their great effort by sending them to tackle this pig! :) For awhile, that wasn't enough and somewhere close to 75% of them didn't qualify during their first carrier qualifications (CQ) and would have to be sent back for more training.  No HUD and steam (analog) gauges, and no fly by wire--it was a Grumman Ironworks Product through and through--a working man's airplane. Standard carrier approach was a 600 FPM descent till slamming down on the deck--I don't remember what the hook/eye distance was (height from hook point to an average pilot in his seat) , but was pretty ridiculous. I'm 6'4" and would put the ejection seat in its highest position to see over the IP.  But I digress... pleased that this plan might actually work!

On to the wings. Made my first tedious cuts last night. Wish I would've caught this prior to gluing the wings together as it would've been much easier.  As it is, I think I'll be able to cut off the sections to attach to the slats and then backfill with styrene stock.  You can also see where I started adjusting the shape of that fairing. It's not 100% perfect, but close. I'm likely the only one that will know the difference...

Here it is--modified wing on the right and the stock on the left:

20210120_085246

I'll continue messing with the wings, but will have to begin pondering how to bring it all together. There's lots of reds/white/gray that will need painting and easiest to do it prior to assembly. At the same time, I don't want to get too far in front of myself. It's like one of those thousand piece puzzles and I'm going off a picture in my mind...:wacko: Also need to start assembling the fuselage, but need to decide when and how w/ the tailhook etc (that thing is like a shiv if you're not careful!).

More soon--I'm just happy to have this minor crisis behind me!

-Peter

Peter-

I am absolutely loving your work so far. I work for NG in St. Augustine, where all of the Intruders and Prowlers came for their major overhauls and Mods up until they were retired. I actually work in the exact building, and you can still see the painted squares on our shop floor for the nose and main wheels when they were stacked in here like firewood! 

Many chaps on my crew worked on the B-ships, and a couple of them were blown away by your work. The interesting thing about these guys, is they all speak of the Prowler with so much affection. Still to this day. 

Please keep the updates coming thick and fast. 

THOR    :ph34r:

Edited by bdthoresen

12 minutes ago, bdthoresen said:

Peter-

I am absolutely loving your work so far. I work for NG in St. Augustine, where all of the Intruders and Prowlers came for their major overhauls and Mods up until they were retired. I actually work I. The exact building, and you can still see the painted squares on our shop floor for the nose and main wheels when they were stacked in here like firewood! 

Many chaps on my crew worked on the B-ships, and a couple of them were blown away by your work. The interesting thing about these guys, is they all speak of the Prowler with so much affection. Still to this day. 

Please keep the updates coming thick and fast. 

Oh, WOW!  Made a few ferry trips down there myself!  Always amazed to get a bird back and see the magic that was done. I still have a vivid memory of getting a jet back and being blown away at how pristine the landing gear and gear bays were!  Somewhere in the 1/24th build (don't remember if here or Z5 where I started) I have some photos of your facility as they rewired the cockpit. I'll have to repost them as I dive into the cockpits (after I figure out how to make the canopies...)

-Peter

23 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Oh, WOW!  Made a few ferry trips down there myself!  Always amazed to get a bird back and see the magic that was done. I still have a vivid memory of getting a jet back and being blown away at how pristine the landing gear and gear bays were!  Somewhere in the 1/24th build (don't remember if here or Z5 where I started) I have some photos of your facility as they rewired the cockpit. I'll have to repost them as I dive into the cockpits (after I figure out how to make the canopies...)

-Peter

I sure would love to see those photos. After the merger with Northrop, the shop policies of absolutely no photography have been strictly enforced....Of which I understand in Classified situations, but it sure makes life hellish for us airplane nerds and modelers. The F-5 program recently closed down next door, and those guys did some amazing work keeping those old girls flying. They even managed to Frankenstein the noses from some timed-out F models to the fuselages of some low-time ex-Swiss N models for the Navy. The last few birds left out of here with some pretty wild aggressor schemes.

Anyway, I will stop hijacking your thread now. Keep up the great work!

Edited by bdthoresen

24 minutes ago, bdthoresen said:

No please don't , all this information is fascinating , watching this huge bird take flight involving people who flew and worked on them , to a history nut like me the service background in this thread is wonderful. 

I also admit when I saw that huge model suspended only on it's arrestor hook WOW !! , please please please don't stop Peter , this is truly something special .

1 hour ago, bdthoresen said:

I sure would love to see those photos. After the merger with Northrop, the shop policies of absolutely no photography have been strictly enforced....Of which I understand in Classified situations, but it sure makes life hellish for us airplane nerds and modelers. The F-5 program recently closed down next door, and those guys did some amazing work keeping those old girls flying. They even managed to Frankenstein the noses from some times out F models to the fuselages of some low-time ex-Swiss N models for the Navy. The last few birds left out of here with some pretty wild aggressor schemes.

No hijacking at all! I love sharing stories and it helps others learn and pick up little details. Also helps keep me honest.

They did miracle work with those F-5s. I was a branch head at Fallon, so I know what has transpired to keep our Adversaries going.

As for those photos, IIRC, they’re old PA photos I found on DTIC! Also, if you haven’t seen it on WIX, there’s 57+ Pages of photos from the Grumman Archives! Everything from WW2 through the 70s and 80s. Some crazy shots of them making the turtleback (that’s the area right behind the aft canopy) Urban legend had it that those panels were made individually. I was on the Kitty Hawk and one blew off the wing into the ocean as Sailors were trouble shooting prior to a launch. Bird became a parts bird for the next week or so till the fly off. Then the squadron flew home. As soon as they landed, the took the panel off and helo’d it out to the ship so they could launch it off. It didn’t fit and they ended up craning it off and ferrying it to a local airfield till a panel could be manufactured... crazy!

50 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

No please don't , all this information is fascinating , watching this huge bird take flight involving people who flew and worked on them , to a history nut like me the service background in this thread is wonderful. 

I also admit when I saw that huge model suspended only on it's arrestor hook WOW !! , please please please don't stop Peter , this is truly something special .

Thanks, and no worries, we’re well on our way now! (Minus the kitchen reno I’m struggling through...)

Not kidding, are you? :D

That is, already, one good looking Prowler! I love your idea with the tailhook-stand, too. These Intruder-ish kits really lend themselves to this kind of setup, with all the stuff Trumpeter provides. If I'd had the space  for it I'd build my A-6A in the green camouflage with flaps, speedbrakes and slats deployed, those red areas underneath would probably look good with the green camouflage.

However, no space means wings folded for me :)

By the way, when filling the rivets with the plastic putty, do you smooth it out with water, or sand it later? I  found this type of putty hard to sand, as it doesn't seem to bond as well to the plastic as solvent putty.

Jeroen

4 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Not kidding, are you? :D

That is, already, one good looking Prowler! I love your idea with the tailhook-stand, too. These Intruder-ish kits really lend themselves to this kind of setup, with all the stuff Trumpeter provides. If I'd had the space  for it I'd build my A-6A in the green camouflage with flaps, speedbrakes and slats deployed, those red areas underneath would probably look good with the green camouflage.

However, no space means wings folded for me :)

By the way, when filling the rivets with the plastic putty, do you smooth it out with water, or sand it later? I  found this type of putty hard to sand, as it doesn't seem to bond as well to the plastic as solvent putty.

Jeroen

I’ll have to make space, but worth it in the long run. Have a couple old builds waiting to be donated to various associations that’ll free up some room in the cabinet. 

As for the putty, this is the first time I’ve used it. On the tail, I sanded it, and it held up reasonably well. On the wing above that I’ve started modifying, I wiped it with a wet makeover remover cotton pad thingy. That worked, but appeared to make the putty dissolve a bit, so there’s little indentations. Actually about right for the wings, other than the fact that they’re in a wrong pattern for the EA-6B. All in all, It’s OK...won’t be my “go to” tool in the toolbox, but it has applications. Usually I use cyao or a dab of Tamiya white surface primer if it’s small and shallow enough. Didn’t feel that doing the entire kit with either of those sounded fun, (I mean I know I’m crazy, but not that crazy)

OK folks, moving ahead. 

Went back to working on the empennage and fuselage, vice the wings. You'll understand why as I walk through it...

If you look at the photos I posted above, you'll see I've got one heck of a moment arm going on. Unfortunately, it's at the exact spot where Trumpeter gives you the options of opening the speed brakes and the birdcage. Almost 2/3 of the circumference is missing, making it a natural weak point and it was flexing waaaay too much for my liking. It was a problem on my 1/24th scratch build as well, so I decided to bite the bullet and get the hook situated and everything buttoned up before something broke or got warped into a wonky angle.

First up, I added the chaff/flare dispensers. On the Prowler, they're nestled in the area between the hook. Took some time to thin them down--I didn't wan to cut out a hole and weaken this area any more.  Also filled the A-6 panel lines and added one panel for the Prowler.

20210121_103018

Next it was time to bring out the JB Weld and mount the hook. I've seen other WIPs where folks ask about it. It comes in various forms--I tend to use the metal infused stuff (I've seen folks use it to fix flat head Fords even). I mounted the hook and spread it liberally at the attachment points and along the inside to strengthen the area. It's never going anywhere now. I'll likely use the trick from Chucks "Kicked Up a Notch" builds and put some foam over this as I've already stabbed myself once...

20210121_104213

20210121_104240

20210121_104247

Next, I set about working on the Extensible Equipment Platform, AKA the Birdcage. Both the Intruder and Prowler had it. It's a door that swings down and allows access to the black boxes etc. in the fuselage. The door is the same, but there's some variations over the years. Early Prowlers had the same fairing as the Intruder, as they had the AP/AN-153 Doppler Navigation Radar. In the mid-80s the Prowler got an upgraded Radar to go with HARM, and the fairing went away. By the 90s, there was a gigantic blade antenna for the USQ-113 communications jammer. That's what I'm replicating, so I sawed through the fairing and filled that hole and the chaff/flare dispensers prior to attaching the antenna. The antenna itself is just sprue cut to size, sandwiched between sheet stock, with some Archer rivets to mimic the screws that held it all on.  Easy peasy. The whole area is very un-aerodynamic and very Grumman-like. Trumpeter kind of misses that: There's a panel overlap, with a bunch of speed screws to hold the platform up. (The birdcage was a great place to stow your gear while on the road--you could fit 4 good size bags in there and not have to haul it in the cockpit. But you never wanted to be the Jr. guy on a cross country as that person got stuck unscrewing all the screws and then lowering/raising the dang thing. It was like an act of Congress. There was a hand pump in the nosewheel well, and you had to pump that, and press a button to raise/lower it. Invariably ended up covered in grease while doing it...but I digress). There's also some pretty big hinges at the aft end of it. I used some Meng bolt heads I'd bought specifically for the speed brakes on my 1/24th build for those hinge points.  Lastly, there's a "V" shaped fairing in front of the platform. On the real a/c it's there to divert oil from the engine around the Birdcage (The LOX bottles are in there, and oil and LOX decidedly do not mix!). It's a "L" shaped channel, and I tried to replicate that, but it was just too small to replicate, so just glued a .01 piece of styrene strip.

20210122_101831

20210122_104525

20210122_104533

And under a cote of primer (you can see where I've still got to fill all those dang rivets underneath):

20210122_104913

Don't know if I'll scribe the panels on the fuselage next, but probably should before getting the wings on.  Next weak point to tackle is the engines--Trumpeter gives you the option of having the engine doors open, but right now that gaping open area is flexing a lot. To get it sealed up means getting the intakes done as well as exhausts. Which means getting the wings on as they're part of the assembly.  Like I said earlier, a gigantic puzzle!  It's all good though--super happy w/ progress thus far as the hook is mounted super secure and will hold everything w/ no issues.

Till next time!

-Peter

• easixpedro changed the title to EA-6B Prowler (25Jan21: Intakes)

Worked on the intakes a bit as it snows heavily outside.

The kit intakes are just fine and are actually pretty easy to make seamless.  After gluing, I filled the small seam w/ a wipe of perfect plastic putty and did the household latex paint trick. Used a white paint w/ a bit of yellow tint that I think represents the gunky stained look the Prowler intakes had.

20210125_135857

Here's the engine inlet. (I can't remember the nickname of it for the life of me). On the real deal, it gets bolted to the engine in front of the compressor section. It got painted pure white, as there was usually a big difference between the two.

20210125_140741

Here's the starboard side intake again. Big bit that every kit misses is the refueling point. It's a wide open hole and slightly faired on the outside. Trumpeter gives you some engraved lines.  I drilled it out and put a piece of tubing on it. Then trimmed it to less than 1mm.  Gave it a swipe of plastic putty and called it good. There's a piece of styrene in their to represent the fueling point. I also added the step on top of the intake, (Intruders didn't have these). If there's one thing I don't miss, it's the gymnastics required to climb in the cockpit. Up the ladder, across that little step and onto the boarding platform by the front cockpit. Hated doing that at night on the flight deck...  Saw more than a few people take a tumble even on clear days.  But again, I digress!

20210125_140717

20210125_140816

I still need to scribe some panel lines, but will wait till it's glued in place. Also, there's a really wonky door that flips open to cover the AOA probe on this intake. It pops open when the boarding ladder is opened. As mine is in flight, it'll be closed, but you'll see it anytime those ladders are open.

Next up is tackling the engine, or more correctly the only bit of the engine I'm doing (cutting weight were possible).  Here's Trumpeter's representation of the inlet guide vanes on the left. They guide the airflow into the engine. Trumpeter has 18--no clue how many were on the Intruder, but the Prowler had 14.  I've already drawn them out w/ a protractor and just need to set 'em in place.  Not a lot of air would make it past these things on the kit...

20210125_135813

I'm still deciding what to do for the Compressor blades. Trumpeter gives you photo etch. I might give it a go. In the past, I've just used a printout of a spinning jet engine on paper. Won't be seen anyway, and will look better than a static engine. Kind of like propblur, but easier to handle tucked away in the intakes.

More as I complete the other intake and get everything buttoned up. Then on to the exhausts.

-Peter

On 1/22/2021 at 2:37 AM, easixpedro said:

I’ll have to make space, but worth it in the long run. Have a couple old builds waiting to be donated to various associations that’ll free up some room in the cabinet. 

As for the putty, this is the first time I’ve used it. On the tail, I sanded it, and it held up reasonably well. On the wing above that I’ve started modifying, I wiped it with a wet makeover remover cotton pad thingy. That worked, but appeared to make the putty dissolve a bit, so there’s little indentations. Actually about right for the wings, other than the fact that they’re in a wrong pattern for the EA-6B. All in all, It’s OK...won’t be my “go to” tool in the toolbox, but it has applications. Usually I use cyao or a dab of Tamiya white surface primer if it’s small and shallow enough. Didn’t feel that doing the entire kit with either of those sounded fun, (I mean I know I’m crazy, but not that crazy)

Thanks!

And nice work on the rest, too! You seem to be going faster than I am at them moment... the time just isn't there at the moment.  :S

Jeroen