EA-6B Prowler (02 April: Done!)

easixpedro

22 hours ago, Collin said:

Oh that is so close to an in-flight engagement it hurts just looking at it...but it's awesome.  Great job.

Cheers

Collin

That's really an optical illusion due to my really crappy photos. Real setup looks good and the mains would be on the deck well before the hook engages the CDP.

On 3/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, easixpedro said:

For OBG, the RAT (Ram Air Turbine) on each pod starts spinning at roughly 80 knots. Fascinating thing about them is that they spin at a constant RPM, no matter the airspeed. Amazing feat of engineering, when you consider they were designed in the mid-60s using slide rules and old school engineering techniques. One of the issues with the new Next Generation Jammers (NGJ) that's supposed to replace them, is that it took them forever to figure out how to power the pods and do it as efficiently as the RAT on these pods. Won't go into further detail, but suffice to say they've been talking about them since I was flying the plane this model depicts... Kind of amazing to think that the original 1960s--middle of Vietnam War weapons system is still flying and being used operationally. 

-Peter

Cool feature never knew that! Thing is I think back in the days it was more a lets try till it works kinda hands on mentallity now its all simutaions yet nothing beats real testing IMHO sometimes you win sometimes you loose :P

I alreay commented a few pages back on how awesome your build is! truly a great feat to overcome big hurdles that fast and well. I really need to dig out mine again (Ben S aka Starfighter) gave me some info and data so I'm eager to get her back on my Bench. I realy like the curves on that one and the fact that the conversion look easy from afar but when you look in to it a whole other level of specific detaisl emerge... anyway I degress Good luck on your next project and I'm sure as hell following that one! 

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs

On 3/29/2022 at 2:36 PM, jeroen_R90S said:

This was really one epic build -thanks for making such an extensive build log.

BTW, are you the same Peter who did this build on ModellingMadness?

https://www.modelingmadness.com/review/mod/feya6e.htm

I've had this bookmarked for ages :)

I look forward to the final RFI shots!

Jeroen

Jeroen!  I don't know how I missed your comment--other than there's so many builds going on around this joint a post can get dropped back pretty quick.  

And as for that A-6 on Modelling Madness...boy, howdy that's a blast from the past!!!  Had completely forgotten about it! Yes, that was me. Built it for Steve "Cujo" King that I used to fly with. There were a lot of old Intruder bubbas that joined the Prowler community when the A-6 went away. Frankly they were a breath of fresh air into the community, but that's a different story. It was fun flying with those guys that were used to flying REALLY low and really fast! 

Still need to take pictures of this and post an RFI. Maybe this weekend!

-Peter

• easixpedro changed the title to EA-6B Prowler (02 April: Done!)
  • 2 months later...
On 1/4/2022 at 6:39 PM, easixpedro said:

Plumb forgot, but a lot of the mountain flying scenes you’ll see in Top Gun 2 were filmed on that route. Will be fun to see ‘em on the big screen like that!

Booger - I just saw it.  Had a grand time with it.  Thought it was "SH"!  I will be interested in your assessment when you get around to seeing it.   Know you were not a Hornet jockey (did you call them Rhino's?), but do you think they exaggerated what that airframe can do?  

Edited by JayW