EA-6B Prowler (02 April: Done!)

easixpedro

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Starfighter said:

I absolutely love it, great job Pete! So there are at least two 32nd scale Prowlers around now!:coolio:

Had the same thoughts Ben! Couldn't have done it without you paving the way...once I'd seen yours, I knew it had to be done.

Will also have to tease Beaker about this. Work with him on a fairly regular basis and he's heavily involved with the Prowler Association. Have to let him know that while there are at least 2 in existence, this one doesn't have a miniature version of him or his mustache though!

-Peter

Build of the decade for my vote ...all the trials; dubious Trumpeter kit to start with, ....fly by the set of your pants modelling .....  re work ....more reworks...sheer fracking perseverance ...before you go anywhere near all the personal history tied up in this build .

Way beyond the other (most excellent) Phantom you did Pete . All that work , sat on an arrestor hook ....we won't see a project like this again in a hurry .

Congratulations and all we need now are ALL the glamour shots. 

Edited by Panzerwomble

On 3/19/2022 at 5:33 PM, Panzerwomble said:

Build of the decade for my vote ...all the trials; dubious Trumpeter kit to start with, ....fly by the set of your pants modelling .....  re work ....more reworks...sheer fracking perseverance ...before you go anywhere near all the personal history tied up in this build .

Way beyond the other (most excellent) Phantom you did Pete . All that work , sat on an arrestor hook ....we won't see a project like this again in a hurry .

Congratulations and all we need now are ALL the glamour shots. 

20 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Amazing how you defy gravity with this build.   But I have a question:  do the generators in the pods run all the time or can you cage them so that the props don’t turn in flight?

Thanks for all the comments folks! Was going to take pics this weekend, but got hit with a stomach bug and was laid up for most of it. Will see if I can find time this week. Might even try to use (if she agrees) the Missus' fancy camera vice the ol' cell phone.

For OBG, the RAT (Ram Air Turbine) on each pod starts spinning at roughly 80 knots. Fascinating thing about them is that they spin at a constant RPM, no matter the airspeed. Amazing feat of engineering, when you consider they were designed in the mid-60s using slide rules and old school engineering techniques. One of the issues with the new Next Generation Jammers (NGJ) that's supposed to replace them, is that it took them forever to figure out how to power the pods and do it as efficiently as the RAT on these pods. Won't go into further detail, but suffice to say they've been talking about them since I was flying the plane this model depicts... Kind of amazing to think that the original 1960s--middle of Vietnam War weapons system is still flying and being used operationally. 

-Peter