EA-6B Prowler (02 April: Done!)

easixpedro

3 hours ago, Iain said:

Hugely impressive - real modelling leading to something very different to the original kit - love it!

Iain

Thanks gentlemen! 

And Iain, I was looking at it last night thinking just that: can't believe I started with an A-6 kit, but I in fact did. Figure Trumpeter will announce any day that they're releasing a 1/32 Prowler...

This is special.  You are doing something magical here Peter, similar to some of the other magicians on LSP.  Wow! 

Side note, it's just amazing to me how high off the deck the crew is when that arresting hook makes contact.  What is it like?  Do you come down fast?  Does the nose hit pretty hard?  Were I to guess, I would say that throttles are open about that time which might slow the rotation rate?  Or, increase the rotation rate?    

6 hours ago, JayW said:

This is special.  You are doing something magical here Peter, similar to some of the other magicians on LSP.  Wow! 

Side note, it's just amazing to me how high off the deck the crew is when that arresting hook makes contact.  What is it like?  Do you come down fast?  Does the nose hit pretty hard?  Were I to guess, I would say that throttles are open about that time which might slow the rotation rate?  Or, increase the rotation rate?    

Thanks for such positive comments everyone …make a fella blush! Also good for motivation in the home stretch!

Jay, with regards to your question…flying is addicting. Flying at sea even more so. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Some days you can’t believe you’re being paid to go rage around with a full tank of gas and your hair on fire. The next flight might be one of those moments where you think you’re NOT being paid enough for this (such as crawling from padeye to padeye cause the boat is rocking so much on your way to pre-flight the jet in the Sea of Japan in the middle of winter—and wearing a poopie suit)  I always joked that on any given day I was 49% I hate it and 51% I love it, and they often flip-flopped.

As for the landings, they’re pretty dang violent. Doing carrier qualifications (where the pilot has to get so many landings in a day/night) on the Kitty Hawk, I remember taking off my flight suit and having bruises on my chest from the parachute fittings digging in during the traps. Newer carriers are a bit smoother for both the catapult and arresting gear. I’d imagine the new EMALs catapult  system is a dream comparatively. 

For the Prowler (don’t remember for the Rhinos), the throttles were usually set around 77% power. That set a good, standard 600 FPM rate of descent. At 3/4 of a mile, that’s where the pilot was supposed to start flying the ball, i.e. making power corrections based off what that landing aid was showing. Too much and you go high, and too little and you crash into the end of the ship (I won’t comment on it, but check out the videos from the recent F-35 crash on Carl Vinson). The speed brakes are out as that forces you to keep the power up (jet engines take awhile to spool up and start providing thrust). The pilot automatically closes the speed brakes on landing, trap or not, cause it immediately adds to the available thrust vs drag equation. Same with the throttles—they automatically get firewalled as the pilot clicks the speed brakes closed (a thumb switch on the throttle—kind of like car windows, click till open where you want ‘em but a single click to close). The Rhino doesn’t have speed brakes per se, but has some cool, flight control logic that is essentially making the control surfaces do the same thing. That’s the difference between a fly by wire a/c and old school bell cranks and pulleys.

Hopefully that’s a good explanation! Lots more involved, but want to make it easy to understand 

Thanks again everyone!

-Peter

Still adding all the fiddly bits. Case in point...have had these little brass bolts for eons. Perfect to replicate the screw jacks that make the slats go up and down. Trumpeter gives you the recesses for them, but they aren't included in the kit. Wont be adding any other details like this as they're barely visible...but I know they're there dangit!

20220313_093838

And in other big news, got the base weathered and the stores attached. We're close folks, really close!

20220311_135150

-Peter