EA-6B Prowler (02 April: Done!)

easixpedro

1 hour ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

just goes to show, simple is most of the time best...

Nice work so far, and love how the canopy has worked out.

Yeah, have to constantly remind myself not to over think things. Or over engineer a solution.  All in all though, pleased how its shaping up. Spent the afternoon trying to figure out where all the panels go.

Awesome work my friend glad the canopies turned out great. The tint is ineed to be jalous off as its looking the part and its a great deal of the feel for the prowler!

almost on the home stretch looking forward to further updates Peter! Fly Navy!

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs

Nice!  I know I use that word a lot round here, but this really is! I say this knowing what a real milestone in the build this actually is. Especially when you consider how much work has already gone into them and the surrounding areas, this is probably as nice of a point to finally get to as any in the build!

45 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice!  I know I use that word a lot round here, but this really is! I say this knowing what a real milestone in the build this actually is. Especially when you consider how much work has already gone into them and the surrounding areas, this is probably as nice of a point to finally get to as any in the build!

I was thinking of you and the Ki-45 canopy issue when I noticed the dust on the inside! But in a good way--I was thinking of how you tackled that bit and thinking of ways I could fix it.  Which leads me to this...  As I was tinkering with it yesterday, I was attempting to draw in the panel line locations (such as they are--there's really not much). But as I looked at it, I realized that I might have to bring that lower framing up a smidge, which will help hide it. I also managed to make the framing on the backside of the front cockpit too narrow--need to enlarge it by about another 2mm. I caught it as the boarding platform lines up with an imaginary line that extends down. As I was struggling to mark the locations, it dawned on me that was the issue.  No worries though--know what I'm doing and how to do it now. We'll get it all sorted and hopefully the next update will have the radome scribed as well as the boarding platforms.  Who knows, maybe I'll even get the IFR probe situated before jumping into paint?  Anxious to be working on it, that's for certain!

Yeah that's really looking the 'ducks nuts' absolutely sensational result and you are right to feel proud mate.  I will use your technique in the future as well!  She really does look every inch a Prowler now....very very cool!

That's enough praise for you, I will save the rest for your next update as I am sure I wont be dissappointed!

Cheers

Anthony

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Yeah that's really looking the 'ducks nuts' absolutely sensational result and you are right to feel proud mate.  I will use your technique in the future as well!  She really does look every inch a Prowler now....very very cool!

That's enough praise for you, I will save the rest for your next update as I am sure I wont be dissappointed!

Cheers

Anthony

I thought it was 'the bees knees' ?!  I'd dig out my Australian to English dictionary, but I'm afraid it doesn't have Kiwi sayings. Bob isn't necessarily my uncle either...

But I digress. Back to the build--have to concentrate as I'm dreaming up a scheme for a Trumpeter F-8 and that is not helping.

5 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Awesome!!! :wub:

Some blemishes on the fuselage sides here and there, but that's child's play compared to the rest!

Oh, and please quit dreaming about that F-8 ;)

Jeroen

True. Already working on that. In fact, the entire  cheek area needed some filler as it was looking a little shallow and sunken. So added a skim coat to build it up some. You can also see how I started working on the canopy frame to fix the narrowness. 

20220125_053233

More soon!

-Peter

Dude - you are fearless.  Like a few other modelers on this site, you are not afraid to dive in.  Plastering up the cheeks of that thing - well you must have skills I just don't have.  I need some of that courage - right now I am just too nervous with my project.  Oh, and the F-8?  I am drooling.  When I was a kid, I had a few favorite jets.  And the Crusader was second behind the F-100 Super Sabre.  The Intruder was not even on the drawing boards, I don't believe.

Dad was in the US Army, and we lived on army bases, like Fort Campbell, Bragg, etc.  As kids, he would take us to war game shows out in the reservation some weekends, watching artillery/mortar strikes, tanks maneuvering about, etc, and often a nearby airbase would send in a couple or a few aircraft to do a fly-by or even buzz the stands.   Still remember the metal stands.  An announcer would tell us what's going on at all times, and would announce that they were coming and to watch for them to the left or right or something like that.  So one day this is happening, we get the announcement, and we see ugly black exhaust trails off in the distance, then the specks of the aircraft themselves - a few flying in formation coming toward us and pretty low, and then in a flash they were on us, but not a sound.  Silent.  Until they went by, and then a giant boom and the deafening roar of jet engines.  F-100's.  As a kid, I was hooked forever more, and the crowd was blown away.  

Well - I bet Crusader crews have done that before too in the past.

Edited by JayW