Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

• 1 month later...

Spent the weekend instructing in the L-39. This is the former “Firecat” aerobatic jet- my student was kind enough to give me the last landing of our third flight yesterday. The forward visibility isn’t bad but is not great. I am looking through the top of the front seaters canopy, not the windscreen..and around his seat and helmet.

heres a look:

C8a8h1P.mp4

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

On 7/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, dodgem37 said:

So, what do your A.F. buddies say about you flying NAVY?

Probably give him a harder time for forgetting to put the wheels down. 

Just kidding Pete..............you know what life in the Airforce was like, never a dull moment when given the opportunity to have fun. :)

1Hey Pete,

What are the economics of owning & flying the L-39?  I gave slightly serious consideration to one of the Shorts Tucanos floating around, but the numbers looked rough.  Given that the slow old T-34 prices are through the roof the Albatros may be an alternative idea although I don't have any turbojet time worth mentioning. 

How do you keep cool in an airplane without the fan on the front anyway?  Oh yeah, how is it for back country flying, you know like skipping onto a sandbar in a river and stuff like that?

BN523

7 hours ago, davral64 said:

1Hey Pete,

What are the economics of owning & flying the L-39?  I gave slightly serious consideration to one of the Shorts Tucanos floating around, but the numbers looked rough.  Given that the slow old T-34 prices are through the roof the Albatros may be an alternative idea although I don't have any turbojet time worth mentioning. 

How do you keep cool in an airplane without the fan on the front anyway?  Oh yeah, how is it for back country flying, you know like skipping onto a sandbar in a river and stuff like that?

BN523

..well the discussion starts at about 300K just to acquire- PM me and we’ll chat if interested-

cheers

P

Had a great day yesterday-

my bud Dave picked me up in CT in his T-6 and flew me to NJ, where I picked up an L-39 that was getting some maintenance. I flew that L-39 back to its home in NY, where Dave met me in his T-6, and flew me back to CT.

we both flew the same leg from NJ to NY, but in different aircraft. The 63NM flight took him 30 minutes. It took me 17 minutes.

8wLXL9T.jpg

VU26mbJ.jpg

IvS19UM.jpg

hhJI0GJ.jpg

7lXFqlx.jpg

TgKhpaf.jpg

pretty awesome Friday.

cheers

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...