Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

Hey all

Spent the day at KFRG. All three L-39’s  are undergoing their annual maintenance, so it was paperwork day for me. I’ll take each jet around the flagpole next week for their post-maintenance test flights.

The TBM got airborne today. My good friend Nick Ziroli was at the stick. Any of you who might be RC modelers will recognize his name..his dad, Nick Senior created many famous RC aircraft plans.G2Oqwen.mp4

0tWzQ2t.jpg

rFjRVJA.jpg

1aj6EC4.jpg

cheers

Pete

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- Maintenance day

Too bad the Dundee Dell on Dodge died.  86 years!  My first time I was gobsmacked by the Scotch library.  Found a bourbon barrel aged one from my birth year.

M’s pub, even after the fire, and as of last Spring is one of the best bars downtown!

Timmy!

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- Passage to Bangkok? Not really
On 5/18/2021 at 12:36 AM, Timmy! said:

Too bad the Dundee Dell on Dodge died.  86 years!  My first time I was gobsmacked by the Scotch library.  Found a bourbon barrel aged one from my birth year.

M’s pub, even after the fire, and as of last Spring is one of the best bars downtown!

Timmy!

I’m still kind  reeling from the loss of the Dell!

I’m fairly close to where Nats was held in ought 17.  There’s at least 5 breweries and a distillery between my house and the convention center now. Food for thought for next year.

On 5/22/2021 at 6:07 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Now that’s a rockin’ transponder code!

INsWw5l.jpg

but I’m going to Newark, not Bangkok-

cheers

Pete

Yay, I know how to operate the flood light on that panel, but that's it. I will never be a pilot!

It was “egress” day for all three L-39’s today. I swapped out all six chutes with fresh repacks, then took one of the C-model jets around the flagpole just because 

SSX4FDH.jpg

SYJBl7m.jpg

unA176d.jpg

ever wondered where you put your luggage when you take the L-39 cross country? In here! Pack light!

B77FiYr.jpg

cheers

Pete

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- Chute swap

What's the procedure for egressing the jet in flight?  Is the canopy explosively jettisoned? After that, just throw yourself over the side?   

Nice pics from the flight deck of your "day job".   Out of curiosity, are US pilots allowed to use GoPro type video cameras to film take-offs, landings, etc?  See a great deal of airline vids out there, but nothing from US carriers.

Now get back to work on that Littlebird! 

23 hours ago, John1 said:

What's the procedure for egressing the jet in flight?  

are US pilots allowed to use GoPro type video cameras to film take-offs, landings, etc? 

Hi John,

some civilian-owned L-39’s have live ejection seats.

for those that have de-activated seats, we use the procedures in the L-39 dash-1 for a manual bailout; with the exception that the canopies can’t be explosively jettisoned (because they also have their pyro removed).

In a perfect scenario, you would manually release the canopies, disconnect from the seat, trim full nose down while holding the stick aft, roll inverted and then release the stick- should pop right out..

and yes- US Part 121 carriers have very specific sterile cockpit rules, so bootleg video of takeoff and landing would violate that rule.

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- Back in the Firecat
6 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

What's the checkride in L-39 includes? 

Pretty straightforward-

upset recoveries, steep turns at 45/60 degrees of bank, stalls, precision & non-precision instrument approach, flameout pattern, no-flap landing, go-around, and full flap landing. And of course, a pretty significant ground eval for systems and emergency procedures.

P

16 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Pretty straightforward-

upset recoveries, steep turns at 45/60 degrees of bank, stalls, precision & non-precision instrument approach, flameout pattern, no-flap landing, go-around, and full flap landing. And of course, a pretty significant ground eval for systems and emergency procedures.

P

With all the different jets that your involved with - I wanted to ask if you're familiar with the L-39 that was based in Florida (I think around Jacksonville or St. Augustine) that was painted kinda like the "Tiger Meet" colors... The front of it was yellow with black tiger stripes and the rest was dark gray... I seen it perform one time at the NAS Jax airshow many years back and haven't seen it since - so I didn't know if it was still around or maybe moved on to a new owner and paint scheme... I'm not 100% sure - but I think the pilot's name was Bob Cox... Thanks, Mike

14 hours ago, mkd1966 said:

With all the different jets that your involved with - I wanted to ask if you're familiar with the L-39 that was based in Florida (I think around Jacksonville or St. Augustine) that was painted kinda like the "Tiger Meet" colors... The front of it was yellow with black tiger stripes and the rest was dark gray... I seen it perform one time at the NAS Jax airshow many years back and haven't seen it since - so I didn't know if it was still around or maybe moved on to a new owner and paint scheme... I'm not 100% sure - but I think the pilot's name was Bob Cox... Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

I am not familiar with that particular

L-39..but I’ll ask around!

cheers

P