Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

11 hours ago, Timmy! said:

Hope Herky is a flightless bird…cause, man, those poops!

I dunno- I’ve seen him fly down the basketball court, hit a trampoline, do an airborne flip, and slam dunk on the hoop.

Also saw those big ass shoes parked in a mensroom stall at the stadium , and man- that was some funky smell!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My good friend G. Owns two L-39’s. This one just got re-engined with a Garrett 731 engine..looking forward to flying this one soon-

7cIU2ze.jpg

2hfeAsP.jpg

also got a new Garmin suite of avionics-

ErkWcb4.jpg
qyMb40V.jpg

The very talented folks at Code1 have been doing the work. This jet is going to be something very special when completed-

cheers

P

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- more cool stuff!

Didn't know there was a reengining option for these jets.   Is the Garrett a "drop fit" or does it require a substantial amount of structural work to install it?   I'm sure it is more economical to run but how's it stack up performance-wise compared the original motor?   On a related note, with relations with Russia being just a bit strained these days, are there any issues getting parts for the original Ivchenckos?

As a child of the cold war, it still surprises me at times to see so many "bad guy" jets flying here in the US. 

3 hours ago, John1 said:

Didn't know there was a reengining option for these jets.   Is the Garrett a "drop fit" or does it require a substantial amount of structural work to install it?   I'm sure it is more economical to run but how's it stack up performance-wise compared the original motor?   On a related note, with relations with Russia being just a bit strained these days, are there any issues getting parts for the original Ivchenckos?

As a child of the cold war, it still surprises me at times to see so many "bad guy" jets flying here in the US. 

there’s a slight thrust increase with the Garrett; but a significant weight reduction that helps the performance. The fuel consumption is much better as well. It’s not a drop fit; the intake duct gets a redesign for example-

most Ivechenko parts come from other than Russia, so no issue so far getting parts or engines.

cheers

P

I used to love the TFE 731’s on my (as in crewchief) Lear 35.  Didn’t care for the Aeronca thrust reversers though but they weren’t that bad.  Very easy engine to maintain and the oil SOAP lets you know far in advance if something’s not behaving well within the engine.  That way, the pilot(s) doesn’t/don’t get an unpleasant  surprise.  I think Garrett got acquired by Honeywell a bunch of years ago but nothing else changed from what I remember.  

The TPE 331’s on the other hand were a pain because every time the crew shut them down, we’d have to go out and spin the props to cool the engine down to prevent the rotating group shaft from warping.