Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

The TFE731 is equipped with DEEC’s if I remember correctly…. There used to be two black boxes (one for each engine) in the rear of the Lear that I’d  have to download regularly and send data to CAMP Systems for engine trend monitoring but then again, they may just have been EEC’s; I’m old now so I may not be remembering correctly.  It was 20 years ago and the TFE731-2-2B  engines were OEM I believe.  My Lear 35 (figuratively speaking) serial number 498, was built in May 1982 with updates done when it came back to the U.S. from Italy.  

I will say the 731 never gave me any major troubles.  I can’t think of any real problems with either engine in all the years I maintained them.  They were very reliable as far as I’m concerned.   The flight crew never had to shut one down and I never had to have one removed for a bad soap analysis.  Can’t remember what the TBO is but I think it’s pretty favorable.  The intake lip is kind of sensitive to damage but that’s part of the airframe, not the engine so it’s N/A.

Always fun to views these images/stories.

I pinned my 17-year-old sons wings on two weeks ago, he was awarded a Power Flying Scholarship with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets. This past Friday we went to the recruiters, he plans to follow my path and attend Royal Military College. Two proud moments for his parents.

12 hours ago, ScoobyDoo said:

Always fun to views these images/stories.

I pinned my 17-year-old sons wings on two weeks ago, he was awarded a Power Flying Scholarship with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets. This past Friday we went to the recruiters, he plans to follow my path and attend Royal Military College. Two proud moments for his parents.

fantastic!

My Dad punched my Air Force pilot wings into my chest in 1990. He was there for my graduation from F-16 RTU, and gave me a bear-hug during a quick stop at home before I headed out for my combat tour over Iraq. I’ll never forget his words “go get ‘em tiger. You can tell me all about it when you get back”. 

trying to be at least half the Dad to my boys that my Dad was for me.

big moment for you both Scoob- I get it.

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann
Speling

Hey Pete, was your Dad a military pilot as well?  My inference from your story is yes but wanted to ask.  My Dad took flight training at Keesler AFB (Biloxi, MS - circa 1959) and trained in what I remember as the T-39 Mentor (my memory of what he told me he flew - looks like a Beechcraft straight tail bonanza..it has a proper name but I don't remember what it is).  Unfortunately, he suffered from vertigo (he described it as he didn't know which end was up when he couldn't see the ground) so he never made it past basic flight training.  He related a time he was in the aircraft and had a lighter in his flight suit upper pocket (shoulder from what I remember he told me), and said it got hotter than hell from the sun beating down...I could never quite figure out how a lighter in his pocket, zipped closed, caught heat from the sun....I digress.  After washing out, he got sent to a tiny radar station on a teeney-weenie island off the coast of Okinawa called Okino-erbu-shima where he spent all of 1960... He resigned his commission in 1963 as a captain and then took a job with Rome Air Development Center (now Rome Lab) working on highly classified intelligence and reconnaissance systems.  He retired in 1996.... 

Had I been able to fulfill my dream (at that time), I could've been flying in the Gulf with y'all...being about seven or eight years ahead of you.  Not unhappy about the way my life's turned out but there's always that nagging wonder what it could've been.  I suppose there's countless individuals with the same story.... LOL, end of "coulda, shoulda, woulda....

Edited by Juggernut

Hey Jugg-

sounds like your Dad flew the T-34. Basically a straight tail Bonanza with a bubble canopy.

Yes, my Dad flew in the Navy for a time and then had a secret-squirrel job. He was a Yale grad- his best friend and roommate for 4 years at Yale was recruited right out of school by the CIA…

not hard to fill in the blanks..but I really need to do a FOIA request.

cheers 

P

Thanks for that Pete, very cool.  All I ever was able to get out of my Dad, and it was long after he retired, was RC-135 Combat Sent and Rivet Joint….other than that it was “If you had a need to know, you would be told.”  That’s tough as a kid when the other kids ask what your dad does.  I imagine most of the stuff he worked with is still top secret.

Edited by Juggernut

• 1 month later...

Wow, I can smell the early morning dew and the dust of harvest season just looking at that photo Pete - nice! I just got back home, was down in Fargo, ND and got my FAA conversion exams done - was great to be back in the US. It is a privilege to be born an American. I would love nothing more than to be able to call the US home! 

Wishing safe flights always! 

Cheers

Alan

11 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Wow, I can smell the early morning dew and the dust of harvest season just looking at that photo Pete - nice! I just got back home, was down in Fargo, ND and got my FAA conversion exams done - was great to be back in the US. It is a privilege to be born an American. I would love nothing more than to be able to call the US home! 

Wishing safe flights always! 

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan-

You pretty much nailed the essence of the Midwest in autumn!

Safe flying to you as well my friend!

best

P