Got my jet back from rehab- Back in the Albatros

16 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Okay, I’ll bite:  Why does the University of Iowa feel like it needs an Air Force

My snarky response: It's for when beating the Huskers in football isn't enough...  

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I can't wait to hear about Pig's sore neck from honking G's with that monstrous helmet!

11 hours ago, Timmy! said:

Hope Herky is a flightless bird…cause, man, those poops!

I dunno- I’ve seen him fly down the basketball court, hit a trampoline, do an airborne flip, and slam dunk on the hoop.

Also saw those big ass shoes parked in a mensroom stall at the stadium , and man- that was some funky smell!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My good friend G. Owns two L-39’s. This one just got re-engined with a Garrett 731 engine..looking forward to flying this one soon-

7cIU2ze.jpg

2hfeAsP.jpg

also got a new Garmin suite of avionics-

ErkWcb4.jpg
qyMb40V.jpg

The very talented folks at Code1 have been doing the work. This jet is going to be something very special when completed-

cheers

P

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- more cool stuff!

Didn't know there was a reengining option for these jets.   Is the Garrett a "drop fit" or does it require a substantial amount of structural work to install it?   I'm sure it is more economical to run but how's it stack up performance-wise compared the original motor?   On a related note, with relations with Russia being just a bit strained these days, are there any issues getting parts for the original Ivchenckos?

As a child of the cold war, it still surprises me at times to see so many "bad guy" jets flying here in the US. 

3 hours ago, John1 said:

Didn't know there was a reengining option for these jets.   Is the Garrett a "drop fit" or does it require a substantial amount of structural work to install it?   I'm sure it is more economical to run but how's it stack up performance-wise compared the original motor?   On a related note, with relations with Russia being just a bit strained these days, are there any issues getting parts for the original Ivchenckos?

As a child of the cold war, it still surprises me at times to see so many "bad guy" jets flying here in the US. 

there’s a slight thrust increase with the Garrett; but a significant weight reduction that helps the performance. The fuel consumption is much better as well. It’s not a drop fit; the intake duct gets a redesign for example-

most Ivechenko parts come from other than Russia, so no issue so far getting parts or engines.

cheers

P

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- Back in the Albatros