Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

20 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Fun Fact-
my 86 year old Mom wants to go for a ride- 

I’ll take her! 

P

The only time my mom ever flew with me, we lost the motor over a glacier up in Alaska, which is the reason it was the only time.  We ended up on a sand bar and everything turned out fine but it was never clear whether she blamed me or the airplane or maybe Alaska for making her poop her drawers.

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

The only time my mom ever flew with me, we lost the motor over a glacier up in Alaska, which is the reason it was the only time.  We ended up on a sand bar and everything turned out fine but it was never clear whether she blamed me or the airplane or maybe Alaska for making her poop her drawers.

thats an awesome story :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Pete, how's the L-29 compare to the L-39 ?

Is it like basic jet trainer to advanced jet trainer ?

-Gregg

the L-29 is a very honest airplane..what you see is what you get. Well balanced flight controls, simple systems, and overall easy to fly and very forgiving.

underpowered; but for a trainer that’s not such a bad thing. 
visibility is good. Lands slow. Ground handling is tricky like the L-39. Speedbrakes are not very effective; but no pitching moment due to their location.

All of this is good; because the OPL jets I’m flying have some pretty cosmic systems installed to mirror the F-35…and that is taking up most of my bandwidth! Haven’t flown with the F-35 helmet yet, but that is coming-

cheers

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

the L-29 is a very honest airplane..what you see is what you get. Well balanced flight controls, simple systems, and overall easy to fly and very forgiving.

underpowered; but for a trainer that’s not such a bad thing. 
visibility is good. Lands slow. Ground handling is tricky like the L-39. Speedbrakes are not very effective; but no pitching moment due to their location.

All of this is good; because the OPL jets I’m flying have some pretty cosmic systems installed to mirror the F-35…and that is taking up most of my bandwidth! Haven’t flown with the F-35 helmet yet, but that is coming-

cheers

Pete

Hi Pete!  Curious as to what makes those jets tricky on the ground.  Also looking forward to your report (at least what you are cleared to share) on that F-35 helmet...

1 hour ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Haven’t flown with the F-35 helmet yet, but that is coming-

I've heard on that Fighter Pilot Podcast they are operator specific. Flying with someone elses helmet can give you headaches and other physical symptoms.
There's even a new episode on AI in the FPP. I checked out OPI as well. It looks like it would be a fascinating place to work. 

Awesome

Cheers Matty

1 hour ago, Daywalker said:

Hi Pete!  Curious as to what makes those jets tricky on the ground.  Also looking forward to your report (at least what you are cleared to share) on that F-35 helmet...

the L-39, L-29, and many other Eastern European aircraft have systems to steer the aircraft on the ground that are unfamiliar to western pilots. To steer the L-39 and L-29, for example, there are no toe brakes. There is instead a brake lever on the stick (you can see the silver lever forward of the grip in the image above). To steer the aircraft, kick the rudder pedal fully in the direction you want to turn, then squeeze the brake lever. The system will meter brake pressure to the main wheel corresponding to the rudder you displaced..and you turn!

but wait- it gets better-

the nosewheel free casters..so you are constantly swinging the rudder pedals left/right to stay on centerline, with corresponding brake input. The brake lever is not on/off either. More brake lever displacement gives more brake authority. learning how much lever displacement you need takes practice.

it’s kind of like trying to taxi a taildragger backwards.

a little taxi speed helps a lot. Get the old girl rolling at a good clip and the ocillations dampen out. Stopping with the nose wheel centered takes some practice. Stopping straight ahead? Easy in theory- just center the pedals and squeeze the lever..but that assumes your free castering nose wheel is already straight.

the L-39 used hydraulic pressure for the brakes. The L-29 brakes are pneumatic, and they are more squirrelly than the

L-39.

there you go!

P