Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

1 hour ago, Daywalker said:

Holy crap, that sounds like a royal PITA.  Any idea why someone would design a system like that, as opposed to toe brakes (which seem to work quite well and be fairly easy to master)?

great question! But I suppose if you grew up with that system and that’s all you ever knew..it’d be no big deal. I keep telling myself “19 year old Russian kids do this!” 
once you get it though- you GET it. I tell everyone transitioning to the L-39 from other jets that Taxiing will be the most frustrating part of training; and then one day it magically clicks.

cheers

P

45 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Okay, I’ll bite:  Why does the University of Iowa feel like it needs an Air Force and how is it you became their chief pilot and what does Little Dude think about all this?

well for starts OBG, I’m not the Chief Pilot…just a pilot. The Hawkeyes are doing some cool testing that requires jets, helicopters, drones, etc. Big science requires big brains; and there are a lot of big brains at Iowa.

And little dude is patiently waiting for a rescue helo to be built..but he seems content in his raft. I highly suspect he will never get out of it..even when the helo shows up.

cheers

P

1 hour ago, John1 said:

How’d you like the -29?  Always thought it was a nice looking jet.   Are they harder to keep flying compared to your own ride?

bout the same $ and effort to maintain and fly. Just underpowered and slow compared to the 39, but it’s handling qualities are very nice.

The one issue I see with the L-29 is they are very inexpensive to aquire (you can buy one for 30-40K) but they are just as expensive to fly and maintain as the L-39. The fuel burn is very similar. So some owners fall into the trap of thinking it is an inexpensive jet to operate…and don’t have the resources to properly maintain it and operate it. The upfront cost is lower, but that’s about it.

Thankfully that isn’t the case with the OPL jets. 

cheers

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

16 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Okay, I’ll bite:  Why does the University of Iowa feel like it needs an Air Force

My snarky response: It's for when beating the Huskers in football isn't enough...  

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I can't wait to hear about Pig's sore neck from honking G's with that monstrous helmet!