VFC-12 ‘Ambush’ Hornet - the shortest WIP ever. :)

Stokey Pete

A couple of people asked me what was next, after the double ‘Viper’ build. 
It’s been my intention to clear this from the shelf of doom for over 10 years. It’s been sat in the box with the Aires cockpit painted and installed, the nose section sealed up, and that was as far as I got about 6-7 years ago. 
Why I never got round to it? Who knows? I think it might have been the fear of the warped wings. Or the fact that I had to virtual sand all of the resin pit away until there was a paper thin amount of material to glue to the plastic. 
Either way, I took it down with the intention of doing a quick shake and bake job on it. Only the smallest amounts of filler have been used. Im

left with the usual lumps and bumps to install, along with some G-Factor gear legs, doors, and some resin tail pipes. 
It’s been painted in the old school Ambush Aggressors markings, using AK real colour paints FS 35190/35450/36375 over a base coat of white, lots of panel line preshades, and tonal variations from painting individual panels lighter or darker than the colour coats. 

The markings come from the Fightertown Decal sheet.

I’ve gone from unbuilt, unwanted, shelf dweller, to where I am now in the space of a couple

of weeks. I want it finished within the next couple of three weeks. 

Where I’m at currently...

50138756472_b68b080686_b.jpg

And yes, I have a thing for colourful aggressor jets just lately. There’s too much grey in my display case at the moment. 

Cheeky little update following weathering, flat coat and cockpit reveal. 
Super happy with the polishing that removed the canopy seam. 

50148012223_f0db6995d5_b.jpg

50148554071_211fd21d77_b.jpg

There’s a few bits of artistic license that I’ve applied. I don’t need an accurate Hornet, I want a good looking Hornet. 
It’s ended up being another gear up display. I tried to build the plastic parts onto the G-Factor legs.....lost some tiny pieces to the eternally fed carpet monster. 

It’s gonna make a fine display partner to my Alaskan Aggressor Viper I think. 

On 7/24/2020 at 11:13 AM, Stokey Pete said:

Cheeky little update following weathering, flat coat and cockpit reveal. 
Super happy with the polishing that removed the canopy seam. 

50148012223_f0db6995d5_b.jpg

50148554071_211fd21d77_b.jpg

There’s a few bits of artistic license that I’ve applied. I don’t need an accurate Hornet, I want a good looking Hornet. 
It’s ended up being another gear up display. I tried to build the plastic parts onto the G-Factor legs.....lost some tiny pieces to the eternally fed carpet monster. 

It’s gonna make a fine display partner to my Alaskan Aggressor Viper I think. 

11 hours ago, G-Factor said:

Hi Stokey Pete,

Let me know what parts you are missing, it's a good chance that I have the parts you need. 

Thank you for the kind offer, but I’ve committed to going gear up with this one now. 

5 hours ago, Neo said:

Wow that canopy is super clear! Amazing 

Love the camo looks great. 

Dont throw that gfactor gear set away, its amazing, and real hard to find!

The canopy took some polishing after sanding the seams away, but it’s turned out brilliantly, being able to see all that beautiful Aires detail. 

The G-Factor gear has been donated to another modeller to repay kindness I’ve received in the past, forwards. Like you say, a rare gem that certainly shouldn’t be junked.