model boxing

chrish

While looking for parts for a project I came across 3 boxes in my basement, obviously been there at least 5 years since that's how long I've been at my "new" address. I remember packing almost all of my models this way for the move, I don't recall any damage so it worked, as well, the models are still undamaged after years in storage this way. I figured I might post a couple of pictures in case it's of any use/ interest to anyone else...could be old news too I guess?

cut slots in the grid frame, slide the wings down in the slots (framed with bubble wrap) and let sit...years in this case 

3 X 1/32 scale jets, I forgot I had;

WwXRl99.jpg

Gl5hdYF.jpg

bSr3QSX.jpg

one other box had a P-51, Mig 15 and 110E

I used to make models for a retired RAF service man. I had to ship them half way across Canada. I did much the same as you did only I used cheap dollar store sponges. Glued one set on the bottom of the box, and the other (cut to fit) set on the removable panel that fit over the model. Put the model on the sponges, place the panel and push down. Then close up the lid. Never had a problem.

14 hours ago, chrish said:

Rented a U-Haul and moved them ourselves yes

The best way to do it, if my experience is anything to go by.  When my family moved from Sydney to Perth, the removalists packed up all my models except one, which I packed.  The one I packed (an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire which I bought as damaged stock for $2, was the only one to survive the journey.  I still have that model too.

BTW, I like that method of boxing up built kits.  Well done.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55