Zoukei-Mura Ta152H-0, III JG301

Juggernut

I've FINALLY finished this one and all I can say is "Good riddens"!  This kit was not a fun build and with the piecemeal style build of the ZM kit, this one was a bear to get reasonably correct.  I managed to screw up the left and right wings when  assembling and had to correct (remove about 1/16" from subsequent assemblies going forward) parts fit as the build progressed.  If you have this kit please take note that when you assemble the wing bottoms to the spar assembly, install the center section first and make absolutely sure it's centered or you might wind up like mine did.  I replaced the 20mm wing guns with brass tube and the prop is a HD VS9.  It's painted (somewhat ham-handed I'll admit) as yellow 2 from III, JG301 in the early part of 1945.  I was going to build wooden flaps but I got impatient with the build and decided to model them up so I could get on with it.  I filled all the panel lines on the tail to represent the Ta152 wooden tail.  It's not known how many Ta152H's were fitted with the wooden tail but this one is (based on the Hitchcock Ta152 text and profile therein of Yellow 2).  It's not some of my best work but it's ok.  My Nikon D3400 catches little white dots that I can't really see with my eyes.  I haven't a clue where these come from but surmise that they're from the Testor's Dullcote I used (the white dots on the canopy are the dessicant packs (decals) and are supposed to be there).  The mottling on the fuselage only came out so-so and after having messed with air pressures and paint consistencies until I was sick of it, I just settled on the best I could get from my old Passche H and you'll noticed paint spatter.  Afterward, I went out and purchased an Iwata gravity feed airbrush so the next time I do mottling, I may have a bit better luck.   I used Testor's enamel RLM 76, Floquil RLM 82 (its actually labeled as RLM 83 but I guess it's now accepted that 83 was dark green and 82 was bright green), and White Ensign Models (now Sovereign Hobby or something like that) RLM 83.  The WEM RLM 83 looks more like RLM81 to my eye.  Oh, decals are from the awesome Eagle Editions sheet and really are a vast improvement over the kit decals.  I added pastel exhaust stains and general staining after  these photos were taken.

Oh well, on the with photos....

qe9Yx5u.jpg

5djvUa9.jpg

CjiIswF.jpg

eEWSNMV.jpg

q9hfzOt.jpg

nTLUYlC.jpg

twMlpfZ.jpg

rEmbXHd.jpg

bgkDbZ5.jpg

v7E2cbk.jpg

wlq2E3L.jpg

qKAYqC4.jpg

65xzVKA.jpg

3YDnOpC.jpg

flytsVC.jpg

BOEW2oS.jpg

VkJc9Dt.jpg

PbMVRjr.jpg

tGOvvzj.jpg

ea5c2Uu.jpg

3gmX0ZV.jpg

rFClMg4.jpg

4ZSk6SW.jpg

cOR9Y0c.jpg

Y05iKvV.jpg

X5WNBmG.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

Nice work.  It looks great, one would never know you'd had issues with it if you hadn't told us.  The mottling and the rest of the paint job looks fine.  :goodjob:

Thanks for all the nice comments.  I so hoped it would’ve been a better build.  Not that it was horrible but there are definitely a lot of potential tripping points if you’re not forewarned.

Nice work!  Very sharp looking model.   All I can say is I am SO glad ZM has significantly improved the fit of their kits since the start!   Im working on their Ki-45 atm, and its an extremely detailed kit in AND out, and so far the fit is at least as good as any Tamiya or WnW kits Ive built.