What paint are you guys using these days? Enamels or Acrylics?

So guys what paints are you using that sprays well with airbrushes and not much fuss is needed when prepping it for airbrush? I was brought up on Model Master Enamels and Floquil and I have always liked how they brush and spray. But now you got all kinds of acrylics and new players on the scene. What do you guys use with good results?

Ive become one of the many MRP disciples. But I'm hooked with good reason IMHO, MRP is technically and acrylic but because it comes pre-mixed in a lacquer medium, it sprays like a silky sweet dream, and is in general pretty bomb proof, not really getting effected by environmentals ( \water drops, masking tape ect, ect) like normal acrylics do.

It also lets me use all the cool enamel washes out there that really work nicely. Everything has its drawbacks, and MRP is that it can be expensive, harder to find for some (SprueBrothers now handles the line, so I've got multiple sources now myself) and you really need a ventilation system, as like all lacquer paint it stinks badly. 

All milage may vary. 

I've used Tamiya acrylics for years, and I've got used to them.  I also use Mr Hobby Aqueous, as they're pretty much interchangeable with Tamiya.  I've tried other paints in the past, but I took a decision a couple of years ago to limit my paint stock to just those.  OK, I have to mix some colours, but it makes life easier on balance.

Apart from one flirt with Xtracrylix which I was not impressed with I stick to enamels, great range of paints, I find them easy to airbrush or brush paint and they do not need a primer.

I tend to stick to Humbrol for detail brush painting though I do occasionally use them for for overall finishing when I don't have the correct colour in my other paints.

I use Xtracolor, Sovereign Colourcoats and Model Master for overall paint finishes, as long as you stir them to death, thin them correctly they work great, though the drying time is longer than acrylics.

Cheers

Dennis

I use Tamiya "acrylics" and Mr Hobby paints (not the aqueous range). This is mainly due to what's readily available in quantity over here. I thin everything with Mr Color Levelling Thinner, so I don't know if that means I am treating everything like Lacquer or Acrylics. I have tried some MRP paint but don't seem to get on with it. This is probably lack of practice.

I've had good luck with Tamiya and Mr. Color both thinned with Mr. Leveling Thinner. They both spray great. I've recently started using MRP and love it. That's pretty much all I buy now but have no problem using up my stock of Tamiya and Mr. Color. I've tried various acrylic paints and just can't get the nice finish I get with lacquer based paints. The acrylics tend to clog the airbrush easier too and needs much more cleaning and maintenance. 

On 7/20/2020 at 1:35 AM, Nachtjaeger said:

So guys what paints are you using that sprays well with airbrushes and not much fuss is needed when prepping it for airbrush?

With that sentence you are describing MRP lacquers. By far the most forgiving trouble and fuss free paint there is.  No need to thin, just load and spray, no 'ifs' no 'buts'.

For hand painting detail I use water based acrylics and for washes enamel.  It all works together complementing each other.

I prefer to use either Tamiya Acrylics or MRP lacquers.  Tamiya is just too good not to use.  MRP is easy to use and pretty fault free.  MRP even mixes nicely with other MRP paints.

And another vote for MRP from me, lush out of the airbrush, mixes well, doesn't need thinning (but can be, if you want to, I've been using Tamiya lacquer thinners), cleans up nice as well.

Their matt clear is also absolutely superb .

Not had much trouble with Tamiya's Acrylic or Lacquers through the airbrush when properly thinned either, I can't get on with Vallejo out of an airbrush once you're spoilt by a good lacquer there's just no contest for me, they are handy for brush painting though.

I've been using Tamiya acrylics and Mr Hobby Aqueous paints mostly.  Have tried the AK Real Colors line of paints and I've really liked those too.  All three have similar properties and between the three product lines, I can usually find the shade I need without custom mixing.

Have not tried MRP but it sounds like I should. :lol:

29 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

I've been using Tamiya acrylics and Mr Hobby Aqueous paints mostly.  Have tried the AK Real Colors line of paints and I've really liked those too.  All three have similar properties and between the three product lines, I can usually find the shade I need without custom mixing.

Have not tried MRP but it sounds like I should. :lol:

I'm an absolute bumbler when it comes to paint John, and MRP makes me look like a painting genius!  I cant get Tamiya acrylics to work for me to save my soul, except when I do a bunch of finagling with the mix including retarder. With your painting skills, MRP could make things even easier for you! 

3 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm an absolute bumbler when it comes to paint John, and MRP makes me look like a painting genius!  I cant get Tamiya acrylics to work for me to save my soul, except when I do a bunch of finagling with the mix including retarder. With your painting skills, MRP could make things even easier for you! 

What do you use to thin MRP?  I know MRP is airbrush-ready but I need the flexibility to vary the viscosity of my paints depending on what I am trying to do.