Sign in to follow this  
Gazzas

Heat stretching Evergreen tube?

HI,

I had an idea for a pitot tube replacement because the kit part was fragile and warped.  So, over some fine copper wire, I heat stretched some (what I thought was plastic) cotton ear-bud tube...called Q-tips in the US.  I got the result I wanted, except that the tube didn't respond to Tamiya extra thin.  So, I think the tube was actually nylon.  Either way...  I hate trusting bonds to CA when it's something as easily bumped as a pitot tube.

So, I had the idea to try it with Evergreen tube.  But to test it, I'd have to buy an entire pack plus postage since none of my local hobby shops carry it.

Has anyone tried it?

Gaz

Hello,

I did. It works but is not easy as controlling the tube diameter is very difficult. Moreover, it is quite fragile to cut. Personally, I would not do that for pitot tubes. 

I bought a pack of Albion aluminium micro tubes for that specific reason. You get a metal color. All tubes are sliding in each other. And you get the hole in the tip. Finally, this is not that difficult to cut with a cutter blade. 

And if you do not want to use CA, there multiple other glues that can be used. Gator glue can be a good option. 

Hth

Thierry 

Heat stretching Evergreen works well, but for a pitot tube, you're better off using fine brass tube as recommended by the posts above.

22 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hello,

I did. It works but is not easy as controlling the tube diameter is very difficult. Moreover, it is quite fragile to cut. Personally, I would not do that for pitot tubes. 

I bought a pack of Albion aluminium micro tubes for that specific reason. You get a metal color. All tubes are sliding in each other. And you get the hole in the tip. Finally, this is not that difficult to cut with a cutter blade. 

And if you do not want to use CA, there multiple other glues that can be used. Gator glue can be a good option. 

Hth

Thierry 

Theirry,

Controlling the diameter is easy.  I slid a piece of copper wire (straightened of course) into the tube.  Then I heated the tube.  Then I stretched the tube past both ends of the wire.  I then cut where desired.   What I got was a very thin sheaf not much thicker than the copper wire.  The copper wire is glued to the wing with CA.  But the new sleeve can slide off.