Need Help Identifying a Kit

LSP_Kevin

I was recently passed the kit in the photo below (thanks, Ray!), and am trying to identify it:

rTGgbX.jpg

I've managed to use an online translator to render the text in the bottom left section as ZIL Modelista, but searches on that don't reveal anything at all (seems like a generic term, rather than a company name). It's most likely an early version of the Legato kit, but it's difficult to be sure. None of the details match, and there's no PE or decals in this kit, like there is in the Legao one. The box art itself is a desatured copy of the KP 1/72 scale kit from the 1970s:

131797-11185-pristine.jpg

At this point I'm completely stumped for a definitive identification! There's a couple of pages of instructions in Cyrillic, which I can scan and post here if anyone thinks it might help.

Over to you!

Kev

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to Need Help Identifying a Kit
1 hour ago, Trak-Tor said:

I'm interested.
I think I can help with reading the instructions.

I was not aware that B.35 exists in large scale until now.
It might be just an "illegal" copy of the Legato kit...

Juraj

Thanks, Juraj. I'll scan the instructions and post them up. I suspect the kit pre-dates the Legato one, however - so if there's any relationship, it'll be the other way around.

Kev

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Hi Kev, I think it is Zip Modelist, not Zil. The  Cyrillic letter for “L” is more pointed. I found a link to someone’s build on Brit Modeller doing the search with ‘Zip’ https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969162-avia-b-135-at-132-scale/ .

I did see that one - Topper is a member here as well, and I'm pretty sure his build was presented here too. I can't quite tell from the build thread, but is he saying that he moulded copies of a friend's Zip Modelist kit? The parts look like they're vacuform.

Kev

OK, here are the scanned instructions:

eJXnBd.png

As you can see, they're not so ancient that they're handwritten, so perhaps the kit is of a newer vintage than it looks. Now that I'm looking at them properly for the first time, I suspect that they're not instructions at all, but simply a history of the aircraft.

What do you think, Juraj?

Kev

Thanks, Derek. I did find that one, and there are definite similarities between the Legato kit and the one I have, but definite differences too - mostly in the presentation. I'd have to get a better look at the Legato kit to be sure.

Kev

48 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Thanks, Derek. I did find that one, and there are definite similarities between the Legato kit and the one I have, but definite differences too - mostly in the presentation. I'd have to get a better look at the Legato kit to be sure.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Like Juraj, I too am now wondering if this is a Russian copy of the Legato kit. The colour and type of resin used (I am assuming that this is a resin kit?) will probably differ between the two kits. If it is a copy, I would also expect quality differences - good images will highlight this (if you know someone with the Legato kit, a check of the dimensions of key parts of both kits will probably confirm this, as if it is a copy, I would expect yours to be be a little smaller).

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

25 minutes ago, Fenous said:

Here are some finished and in progress pictures of Legato kit

https://www.leteckemuzeumliborezy.cz/avia-b-35/

That's a very nice build!

From what I can tell, the Legato kit comes with PE and decals. The kit I have has neither, but does come with a sheet of paint masks. There's also a couple of sheets of drawings - one for the basic assembly, and one for the painting guide. Perhaps I should just start a build thread and see what comes out of it.

Kev

By the way, there was a rumour floating around earlier this year (and I think it was to be taken seriously) that Czech company KP (Kovozavody Prostejov) is working on a new kit of Avia B.35 along their L-29 Delfin in large scale. It could be expected next year I think.
Maybe some stuff from the Legato kit will be used while making it...

Juraj