Tamiya 1/48 F-14A, Trans-sonic with vapor cone

Bstarr3

I started a WIP thread on this one, but ran out of initiative to keep up with posting photos. First a couple shots of the finished kit. Mission Models paint and kit decals for VF-84 CAG. Modified to be displayed in flight. 

20200708-221214.jpg 20200709-192714.jpg

Then the magic part: chicken wire and cotton wool to build a vapor cone as the ship transits the sound barrier. It doesn't look exactly like the reference photos, but I'm really pleased with how it came out! Comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks for looking! 

20200715-214241.jpg 20200715-214253.jpg 20200715-214306.jpg 20200715-214327.jpg 20200715-214420.jpg 20200715-214449.jpg

lovely & original,

It turned out great, and i'm sure it's not easy to get a nice result with atmospheric effects -  well done

Funnily enough I stumbled on this one just after painting the yellow tips on the tails of mine in flight tamiya 1/48 display as well :)

1 hour ago, red Dog said:

lovely & original,

It turned out great, and i'm sure it's not easy to get a nice result with atmospheric effects -  well done

Funnily enough I stumbled on this one just after painting the yellow tips on the tails of mine in flight tamiya 1/48 display as well :)

Great! Is it posted on here? I love in flight displays

Wacky and yet effective. Congrats!

I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't soon be building virtual models which can be laser projected as 3D holographs zooming around in any scale we want. Alexa, two 1/24 scale Tomcats doing a supersonic flyby please.

Tony 

Thanks all for words of praise! It is now officially an award winning model, as I have been awarded "Most Creative" in a Mission Models/Spray gunner hosted Facebook contest! My first time entering anything for competition. 

• 3 weeks later...

That's very ambitious and I think it looks fantastic! 

The plane itself looks great as well.  

These Fighting 84th F-14s with the black vertical stabilizers and skull and crossbones were, by far, my favorite aircraft as a kid growing up!

I still love that scheme!