Heinkel 111 H-2 finished

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work! Eventually, (I hope), I plan to pick one of these and a Ju88 up. I've honestly been holding off in the hopes that someone would produce a Do17. If my luck holds true, they won't until I spend my money on something else or attempt to scratchbuild one first. Just seems to how things work for me.

On a side note, was watching some show on Netflix about the Luftwaffe and this aircraft came up. One thing I was not aware of was the number of times pilots had to open the roof hatch, elevate the seat and stick their head out to see while landing. Apparently the altitude change during descent was enough to fog or frost the cockpit glass! 

In St Louis in 1971, I worked with a guy who had flown these during the war.  Guys in the office were going through a spate of model building including a couple of airfix (IIRC) 1/72 H111s. A series of booklets was then available including one on the H111 which included a review by Eric Brown. I think his review alerted us to the sometimes open cockpit.  We asked Ruprect abut this. I think he told us visibility from the cockpit on the ground wasn't great and driving into another aircraft was discouraged. I also think he told us that the perspex could be fogged up first thing in the morning, hence taking off with head through the roof.  (I'm not entirely sure about this, it was a long time ago and I may have this confused with another source.

Chrish, i have a question. If you wanted to set up the seat and controls for open air operations, did it look like this was possible with the AM kit you used?

I believe so, the control stick/yoke assembly attaches to a large fork that can pivot (I wondered why that was there) at the rear bulkhead (below and behind the pilots seat) there is a kind of pivot point/anchor at the front between the rudder pedals that would/ could allow the whole assembly to be built in a raised position, the only problem is the kit seat mounts which do not allow for vertical adjustment, no fault of the A/M parts as they use the kit part to mount the resin seat. Shouldn’t be a big deal to scratch the raised seat mounts though?

I also remember reading somewhere that the brakes on this aircraft (the real one) were horrible...would really suck the big one to not be able to see or stop!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...