Revell Spitfire MkI

Hi Ernest, Thank you! I’m still researching whether to go with MkI a or b. I‘ve just received the 1969 Revell kit that I won on eBay. I won’t be attempting the huge number of improvements that Thierry Laurent  is currently making on his as I would never finish on time!Instead I am concentrating on ‘lipstick, powder and paint’ for this build rather than full plastic surgery! Let’s see what I can make of this one out of the box. 

Kind regards

Paul

9 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi, 

Up to you but keep in mind the wing scribing is a Mk. Ia one. Revell just gives you some bumps to add on the wings whereas the actual 20mm gun breech covers were noticeably larger. 

Salut! Thanks Thierry,  Today I am cracking open my copy of Morgan & Shacklady to orientate myself further on this subject (right after I make my wife happy by tiling the kitchen splashback...) :whistle:

You are doing great work on yours  :bow:.  I have to ask: I was intrigued by the  change you made to the nose area in terms of widening the cross section: was this a case of 'it looked wrong' or did you compare it to drawings? (Can you see what is happening here?... I am already getting sucked into the corrections vortex! ;)).  Thanks for the heads up!

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I did not like the kit propeller and looked at alternatives. The De Havilland one of the recent Revell kit is noticeably better but I observed its diameter and the ones of the Hasegawa spinners were a little bit larger. This is why I checked and indeed it looks the old kit has a nose that is a little bit too thin. However, it is quite marginal and, finally, the change was more guided by the compatibility with the possible options rather than the fact the nose looks really wrong as it is. I'm not the kind of guy who is mad about dimensions as far as something looks right.

Hth

Thierry

Hi Thierry,

Thank you: yes that does help! The fillet you have inserted looks quite big but if the difference is marginal I’ll not make a change. Thanks also for the advice on the cannon bulges: Having consulted Morgan and Shacklady I’ve decided to go with the Mk1a option. Now to do some deeper research on X4179 before starting on the cockpit! 

Best regards

Paul

• 1 month later...

I am gutted: I have managed a start on the Spitfire and fired up my compressor at the weekend (Iwata PowerJet Pro) and it slowly ground to a halt. IT looks and sounds terminal so I shall have to speak nicely to SWMBO to see if another can be procured....no pressure on this build (no pun intended either...) :BANGHEAD2:

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 10:19 PM, Archimedes said:

I am gutted: I have managed a start on the Spitfire and fired up my compressor at the weekend (Iwata PowerJet Pro) and it slowly ground to a halt. IT looks and sounds terminal so I shall have to speak nicely to SWMBO to see if another can be procured....no pressure on this build (no pun intended either...) :BANGHEAD2:

About a month ago, someone posted about a battery operated compress/airbrush combo on Amazon. I showed my wife and next thing I know it arrived for my birthday. Believe it was around $60? Used it a few weeks ago for a test run and seemed to work pretty well. The brush isn’t the best but the cordless compressor was super quiet and worked well. Looks like it’d fit other airbrushes, though I haven’t tried. Might be an option?