Group Builds: what’s your point of view?

mozart

I very much wanted to participate in the Battle of Britain Group Build, but I knew this summer would not allow me the time to do it. The Battle of Britain has always been one of my deepest interests and I had a few ideas. Life got in the way though; boat repairs, family, and even work has become busier due to new Army initiatives generated by the need to react to the Covid outbreak. It was just timing in my case.

The Trainer Build might be more doable. I have been wanting to do a MiG15UTI/SB Lim-2 for a while. That's also part of my problem, not seeming to be able to build out of the box. ^_^

Richard

I have participated in 3 GB's over the years,  "Airwar over Vietnam" and  "Classic Plastic" I managed to finish 3 builds each.

My favorite was "What-if," and started a Corsair Racer but had to leave due to personal matters.

i have just now returned from a No-Mojo period of about 10 months and  a large downsizing of my 32nd stash.

I was planning to start the 24th Tiffie Bubble top OOB project, but I do have a T5 Double - Lightning conversion set.....HMMMM.

The trainer GB might be a good way of getting through the Whirlybird conversion with my sanity intact, I'm not a big resin fan,

and this is Big resin to me.

This is not what I planned to say when I started this post.

I was going to say that the GB's I participated were  a load of fun with making new friends, tips, HELP, encouragement and 

a good  Ol ATTY BOY !

I hope to se continued participation in GB's in the future, no matter how small the end result, they will not always be that way.

Maybe see you in the Trainer GB!

jack

Edited by marauderdriver
spelling

I like the idea of group builds, but my personal track record is pretty ordinary when it comes to completions. 

Every new one is going to "be the one that actually gets finished in time" :D

Whether they're worth the effort they take to organise is entirely up to the organisers, I'd imagine!

Thanks Mozart for the interesting topic. 
I like the concept. All the builds are fun and informative to watch. 

I have agreed to start a few but just the commitment ends up being a curse.  The day after my intent to build a Sabre jet I am put on a team at work to address FDA audit findings for 9 months.  So until I retired... but still not much bench time. My I-16 for Russian Front GB did not make it in time (house fix it delays) but is almost done. I will post the build in the Works in Progress sub-forum.

i was an advocate of the Trainer GB so that will be a must for me.  The build will be a Claude trainer conversion, Bf-109G-12 or a Willow float plane. I am pretty settled on the Claude. The start-up photos showing the kit, AM and reference materials are done. 

Keep the GB coming. I am getting closer and closer. 

Rick

I have participated in several GBs over the years here. I have not always finished my builds in time but I usually do. As I like to build anything that looks cool no matter the era, I usually finds something in the stash to participate and I very much like the variety of aircrafts which are being built within a GB. I participated in the Cold War GB with Fisher Panther and let my enthusiasm take over an started an Intruder after finishing the Panther. I wanted to join the BOB GB with a Dragon BF-110 that I even started, but right now COVID and too much stress at work has killed my mojo, all builds are stalled. Hopefully I will recover in time for the Trainer GB (thinking Aggressor legacy Hornet). 

We could encourage participation in the GB by raffling a kit among the entrants who complete their build. No sure the judging and prize is a good idea, at least for me, I don’t think I need more competition in my life. I will happily donate a kit if the mods want to experiment for the next GB. 

Cheers,

David

9 minutes ago, Dukie99 said:

We could encourage participation in the GB by raffling a kit among the entrants who complete their build. 

Cheers,

David

That's an innovative idea David!  Brad et al??

I think I have participated in 4-5 GB's on this forum and only finished one (Aeromarine) mostly because it was a contest with a deadline.

Maybe my builds take too long. I'm also depending a lot on the research part.

When the build stalls because of missing information, you find yourself in danger of getting distracted into starting on another project.

I have tried for years to concentrate almost exclusively on working on one project at a time. And GB's are helping me to do that.

But now I find myself working on three-four projects at a time trying to juggle between them, looking for lost parts most of the time...

Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

On 7/15/2020 at 3:58 AM, vince14 said:

The other issue with GB's here is a lack of promotion. After the initial hurrah of getting it going, there's no further mention of it in the more popular forums i.e. LSP Discussion and GD. An occasional reminder that it's going on in these forums might boost participation as well.

To help promote the GBs, maybe post the finished builds in the RFI forum. The GBs i don't participate in i have to confess i don't check in often. Maybe include a link to the WIP?

Don

1 hour ago, Dukie99 said:

We could encourage participation in the GB by raffling a kit among the entrants who complete their build. No sure the judging and prize is a good idea, at least for me, I don’t think I need more competition in my life. I will happily donate a kit if the mods want to experiment for the next GB. 

Cheers,

David

Not sure about the reward system either, puts the GB into a different level IMHO. Forum i used to frequent tried this, seem to remember it adding a lot of work for the mods...possible hurt feelings...

Don

Hi Max

I'm enjoying contributors' thoughts on this subject. A thought for  a GB: The new HKM Lancaster Nose Art kit. For those with not enough space it could work. For those who worry about hitting deadlines because a GB project is too big it may be just the ticket and from a cost perspective does not look too onerous. Finally on January 9th 2021 it will be 80 years since the Avro Lancaster's first flight. Food for thought.

Best regards,

Paul

31 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Hi Max

I'm enjoying contributors' thoughts on this subject. A thought for  a GB: The new HKM Lancaster Nose Art kit. For those with not enough space it could work. For those who worry about hitting deadlines because a GB project is too big it may be just the ticket and from a cost perspective does not look too onerous. Finally on January 9th 2021 it will be 80 years since the Avro Lancaster's first flight. Food for thought.

Best regards,

Paul

Now there’s an idea! :clap2:

10 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Hmmm. Paul has me thinking.  Not much room for display of the large models then display their engines on stands.  Just checked the stash and I have B-17 engines, Merlin,  various radials. A  GB engines of history of flight.  

Or maybe a "BITSA GB"......bits a that, bits a this......!! :huh: