Group Builds: what’s your point of view?

mozart

You’ll all undoubtedly be aware that on LSP we have Group Builds going on, usually two or three overlapping as some start and others draw to a close. Despite the initial enthusiastic and positive response that usually happens when Brad announces the imminence of a new Group Build, the actual take up is reduced, the interest/response during the build period from members who are participants and non-participants seems muted and the completion rate almost insignificant (mea culpa on occasions!). So I ask the question; are group builds worthwhile? Are you a fan, if so why, likewise if not? 
PS I didn’t know whether this was LSP Discussion or General Discussion, could be either! 

Edited by mozart

I almost never indulge, and seldom, if ever, check out the builds taking place there, and much for the reasons you cited. I've joined one or two, but have yet to ever actually finish one.

I have joined a few here and on Modellers Alliance, I've finished all that I've started (so far) but in a couple of cases wished I hadn't started...I like the camaraderie of being in a group with others building the same topic or subject I think. Being a fairly recent newcomer to the group build idea it did seem kind of odd to me to see people start a subject then gradually power out and quit on it but, it is a hobby and a way to pass time and not as important as other things in life. I generally try not to join or start a subject I cannot finish, when I do fail at a build I try to fail spectacularly and go into the wall full speed backwards and upside down with the throttle wide open. 

Meanwhile I try to wait and bide my time till a group build comes up that I am interested in and have subject matter in stock.

I'm in the current build, and a bit stalled at the moment. I'm finding it hard to keep up the momentum

I think I am also trying to hold myself to a high standard because this is a group build

I like the idea of doing something with other people, and I entered as it gives me a deadline to actually finish something. Fortunately, there is time left to finish the build. I'll pick it up again soon

Probably

Richard

I like the idea of group builds, although I've never completed one of my entries yet. I completely agree with the other Richard above. I enjoy joining in with other people working on a similar theme, and although I've never met a deadline it's good to have a goal. I've started several, and slowly continued to work on them after. I've enjoyed the teasing and advice from others during the build, learned a lot from people looking in and and making suggestions. It also provides motivation to actually push on when you run into problems. Apart from anything else it's a great way to learn new techniques from watching other builds. Choosing something to build that fits a theme also calls for some imagination, and is revealing when people set out their reasons for choosing a subject. 

Now, if they could only extend the deadlines to three or four years I would have a chance...;)

Richard

I've participated in several. There were a couple/few that I couldn't complete in the timeframes, for whatever reason, but always had fun doing it.

I think the fact that it has it's own forum/sub forums could reduce the amount of traffic, but I'm not sure how to remedy that. Also, I think that some may feel like it's a competition, of sorts. I personally don't feel that way, but can see how some may. Being that most of us are seemingly laid back individuals and here for camaraderie and not competition, that could play a part, even if we aren't consciously aware of it? 

In any case, I wouldn't want to see them go away. Longer deadlines probably won't hurt, either. I've never once been participating in a GB and found myself asking, "Is this thing over yet?" Usually it's exactly the opposite!:lol:

Just thinking outloud,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I have never joined a group build, but not because I don’t like them. I usually have the following issues:

1) No suitable subject in the stash and no available funds to get one

2) If I have a kit, I am not at the stage where I am ready to start another build.

3) My build pace is so glacial, I will never finish within the deadline.

4) No interest in the specific GB subject.

I would have liked to join the Cold War jets GB, but items 2 & 3 apply here. 

I love group builds! I've finished a number here and elsewhere, and also run some. I find them motivating and I like to see what everyone else is doing on the theme. I crashed out of a couple of recent builds I entered here but mostly because of life getting in the way. I fully intend to finish my cold war build. (That reminds me, I should update the thread).

My tiny little complaint is that, as mentioned by OP, here and elsewhere there is often initially a clamour from posters who never end up building anything, but often succeed in influencing the build subject.

I do enjoy GBs for several reasons. They keep me motivated, encourage me to do builds i otherwise wouldn't try, clears the stash, gain knowledge/history...sometimes the GBs don't have a subject that appeals(biplanes/WW1 ), that's OK, i'll just do something else. Depending on GB, i've been able to do 2-3 builds. I do see some participants builds get stalled, not finished, but it's a hobby, life and more important things come first. They aren't for everyone, but i enjoy them.

Don

I enjoy group builds for both the great conversation and the education I get by "watching" some highly skilled modelers at work.  I also enjoy the link to history that group builds seem to evoke - in me at least.  Like Richard (RLWP), I am in the current BoB Group Build, and am enjoying it quite a bit.  Up to this past weekend I had massive amounts of time on my hands and was able to complete the first of two builds.  Now that I have started working again, I'm semi-retired and don't work a full time job, but time at the bench will be somewhat less then it was from March through the first part of July, so my second build will move at a slower pace.  I plan to finish it, as I have all previous projects for group builds.  

Ernest  

Group builds are a fun experience, though I have had a horrible record of completing anything. It seems whenever I start a build, half way through I am hit with some other real-world problem - health, family, house project, etc - that gets in the way.

I do want to give GB's some love. Again, need time which is a big issue right now, but I hope to generate traffic with some articles generated by the completed builds on the GB's, as well as starting a "Build of the Week" feature that highlights an ongoing build, both in WIP and GB's. There are some great build in both areas that should get attention!  

I like group builds.  I've been in two here and finished one.  Over at another place I actually host some.  It's good fun, but like all fun, it's better with active participation.  They're more enjoyable when the other people involved in the group build actually take some time and 'like' or comment on the build(s).

In the event that hardly anyone was participating I'm sure their future would be discussed, but they still seem fairly well patronised especially for LSP's. Completion rates do vary, sometimes a lot, sometimes a few, it would be nice to hit double figures for all. A quick look through the gallery indicates that completion rates are the best they have been. To address a couple of points made; 6 months is I feel a pretty good time frame. I like to keep things moving and fresh, but there are occasions where GB's have been extended, like if there are a few people close to finishing and need an extra few weeks. As for selection of GB topics, I usually ask for suggestions and see which ones are the most popular or in the past we have run polls, but I wouldn't want to exclude anyone from their input because I'm sure some intend on participating but life gets in the way.

I like Group Builds and read most of them even if I don't or can't participate.  I like the camaraderie of the group and the deadline aspect so that I get on with the job.   I will participate if I have a kit in my stash that fits the parameters for the GB, or can quickly lay my hands on the kit and aftermarket I want.  It's a pity with the present pandemic that the post seems to have slowed so much, creating a problem in meeting that deadline, but with luck that will be a temporary situation.  For me here in Perth, I'm heavily reliant on internet sales to get what I want nowadays, as the number of hobby shops and stock available in them has deteriorated over the last decade.

I would join in the BoB group build, and I have to say that the present participation rate and variety for that is disappointing.  I managed to acquire a suitable kit recently, and something a little different from the Spitfire/Hurricane/Messerschmitt focus, but it's the lack of current aftermarket availability that precludes my joining in with what I want being unavailable.  Guess I'm just going to have to build it later, which is personally disappointing.  Where's all the Junkers and Heinkels etc too??

So I hope the concept continues, and it's great that we all have some input as to what the next ones will be.  Long may this continue.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you all for your input, it’s interesting to read different people’s thoughts and opinions. What prompted me to ask the question was the surprisingly low number participating in the Battle of Britain GB, a theme which I thought would have been very popular. It made me fear for the upcoming “boring” Trainer GB.

I love the idea of GBs myself; I like the feeling of the group mentality, the support that comes from other members and the banter that often ensues, the opportunity to learn new techniques from others and the history that attaches to some builds. The deadline is both a blessing and a curse, though if you don’t make it the build can still continue as a WiP of course.  I take the point about the implicit competition element but that’s a self imposed pressure in all of us to build to the best standard we can achieve, and if it’s OOB without all the AM thrown at it, who cares?  GB’s have a tendency to run out of steam towards the end, which is a shame but I guess momentum and interest in any model is a common occurrence, hence our shelves of doom! 

There’s a month and a half left in the Cold War GB so with luck and a tail wind I should get close to finishing my Lightning, and then the Trainer GB takes off.....spoilt for choice! Should it be the Silver Wings Tiger Moth, the Lukgraph DH Dominie, the Fisher T7 Hunter, the Anson re-started?? None of them “boring” in my opinion.  Decisions, decisions. Happy modelling all.