Kiwi Treasure trove - even a Mozzie

Yep, John was a great guy and I had visited him most years since about 1982

I was just up there about 5-6 weeks ago on invitation of his family.  Remarkable the extra stuff he had ferreted away.  The amount of New Old Stock Mosquito, Mustang Vampire etc stuff he had was amazing as well.

Walking around his 6 acre property we were still finding stuff in the long grass and weeds.  I suspect stuff will turn up for years.

11 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Yep, John was a great guy and I had visited him most years since about 1982

It seems that he was renown for letting people drop in and have a look at his planes.   Amazing. So many people yesterday were recounting stories of what a generous bloke he was. Sad that he has passed.

Glad you got to have a look.

cheers Matty

Like the 109 from Czech, hidden in a Bohemian barn, that was bought by a German still during Cold war and brought back into flying condition?

He also got a valid ofiicial permission to export the 109 from then communist Czech to capitalist (West) Germany: He simply wrote the true manufacturers name given in the hull onto the documents: "Zentroplan", which was a subcontractor building 109 fuselages in occupied Czech, with engine name "DB 605". No objections from authorities - permission granted :punk:

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik