Giant scale OV-10A

daveculp

Okay...got a bunch of pictures from the museum as promised. However,  there is a problem. I have an up-close of the data plate on the LAU rocket pods, but there were no plates on the nose or main gear legs. None in the wheel wells either. A retired Marine pilot flew one of the Broncos stated he had never seen any he could remember. Next question is how do you want these pictures...here on your thread or PM? Let me know....

After completing both main gear I decided the angles on the gear were wrong, so I moved things around around a bit in CAD and am reprinting the gear.  Here's a photo of the new left main gear fresh off the printer compared with the previous version.  The print takes about 12 hours or so.  The sanding/bondo/primer/paint work takes about four more hours per gear.

before-after.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing up some LAU-68 rocket launchers.  I printed up some inert warheads (painted blue), and some WP warheads (green/yellow/green).  The WP warheads are printed in one piece, and I didn't think about how I was going to paint them when I designed them.  I tried dipping them in yellow to get one edge of the yellow stripe, with the intent to dip them again in dark green, leaving a yellow band.  I found that didn't do, so I'm going to work on plan B, in the mean time putting inert warheads in all the rocket launchers 

Plan B is to print the WP warheads individually so I can paint them.  In order to accomplish the painting I'm starting to build a low-speed lathe (about 50 rpm).  I had previously bought a small lathe for this kind of thing, but it spins way too fast.  I already bought the motor, so now I need to mount it to the existing lathe.  That project may take some time, which I why I decided to go with the inert warheads for now.  Gotta keep this project moving :)

warheads.jpg

Finished the LAU-68 launchers.  The sway braces are built into the attachment lugs because it makes more sense to build it this way.  When the launcher is locked into place on the pylon you won't know that the sway brace is really part of the launcher.  The weight of the piece is 26 grams versus the 8 grams of the original foam launcher.

lau68.jpg