F-89F Advanced Scorpion

Dandiego

Hey everyone.

As I get close to finishing my Pirate I shift my efforts to my new build.

Next up a Scorpion. But not your ordinary, garden variety Scorpion. Oh no, can't do that.

I have always been fascinated by the proposed "Advanced Scorpion". So here goes.

You have to start somewhere so I will be starting with the Tigger Models F-89D. The plastic is thick, by Vac standards, and should stand up to all of the changes that I will be making.

Here is the vac fuselage next to a 1:32 drawing of the F-89F.

NkCSBE4.jpg

Whats different? Among other things the engine nacelles will need to be lengthened as this varient used a different engine than the D model. The tail has a different shape. The horizontal tail has been moved to a lower position on the fuselage. The canopy is different and has been blended into a re-designed spine. The canopy will also be changed. Some drawings show a one piece canopy covering both crew positions, other renderings show 2 separate canopies. Oh...and the wing is different, with mid-span weapons/fuel pods.

CtBvQv6.jpg

Here I am working on the wing. I have cut out a lower blank. After cutting out the flaps I have epoxied a wooden stiffener to the lower blank. The upper wing is actually the wings from the original kit cut down to fit. I have also sprayed a grey primer onto the white plastic to make it easier to work on.

flTuqVI.jpg

wSR187A.jpg

9qDwXut.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

59 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Coooooool Dan. I was fascinated with the Scorpion in the EAA museum grounds, and the advanced model should be even more fun.

Looking forward to more.

BTW, do you have any pics of the advanced design? Or was it only in design phase?

Brian, there are no photos only a few artist renderings. There was supposedly a mockup that was inspected by the Air Force before cancellation but I haven't seen any photos of it.

Dan

Here are some photos that I have taken from 2 books that I have.  The first 2 photos are from "American Secret Projects" and are credited to George Cox. These show models of the Advanced Scorpion.

0rWXdiN.jpg

fZskj9h.jpg

This next one is an artists rendering. It is found on page 29 of Aerofax Datagraph 8, Northrup F-89 Scorpion. Credit in the photo.

q5LlQSU.jpg

Hopefully I have followed the correct procedure by posting these photos and giving credit. If not moderators can remove them.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Work continues on the wings/pods.

I have been working on Fusion 360 CAD program. After watching numerous videos and reading a book I am able to produce some basic shapes.

Here are the 3d printed center and rear portions of the pod. Kinda look like 30mm cannon shells.

sVAd09j.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

So the work continues on the pods. Here I have added the front of the pods and have primed the whole thing. Also I have roughed out the opening for the main gear wells on the pod. I have also included the wheels which are left over from an F-14 project. Not only are they the right size but it is common knowledge, I would think, that the F-14 and the Advanced Scorpion shared the same wheel design. Look it up!

bZmuDhS.jpg

tAVQXbo.jpg

hbRUEc6.jpg

Later, Dan

Brian, 

The pods had unguided rockets in the front, 54 in each pod. They also carried extra fuel and the main landing gear. The tapered rear section was empty, just an aerodynamic fairing. 

I will be adding 2 Falcon missiles outboard of the pods on each wing.  I will be adding a Genie on both sides between the fuselage and the wing pod.  I am just spitballing on the missile load. But the F-89D carried a similar load.

Since it is basically a "what if" build I am going to load it for bear.

Dan

Here is the first rough cut on the pods so that they will fit onto the wings.

Lots of fine adjustments before they can be glued permanently.

ckKjx80.jpg

WtktqnJ.jpg

Everything will need to be plumb and level, especially on the pods since they protrude so far out from the leading edge of the wing.

Dan

So after a few days of pondering I have decided to cut plastic.

Here you can see that I have cut slots in the fuselage sides so that I can slip in the wings. Suffice to say this still will require tons of work to get it all level and square, but it gets my juices flowing for what is to come. The original wing root will have to be cut out and the engine nacelles lengthened but....... it is so cool.

kzFiXjr.jpg

EFOAcCE.jpg

Dan