F-89F Advanced Scorpion

Dandiego

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

MOST excellent Dan!  Did you get the USAF markings by chance yet?    Looking forward to seeing what it looks like with all the masking off.  :D

Thanks Brian,  I can't wait to get the masking off as well. Masks are not here yet, probably Monday.

Dan

More Alclad metal paints applied. So far I have 4 different shades of metal paint. So far I have used Airframe Aluminum, White Aluminum, Aluminum, And Stainless Steel. I have also used some Model master Stainless Steel on the front end of the wing pods.

I am about 3/4 done with the metal paints. There will be some color modulation and selective polishing of panels and rivet lines. Perhaps a few "filters" to further modulate the different colors.

WrA2zA9.jpg

iF9Bjx3.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Hey, where is the completed metal finish??

I actually have sprayed all of the model, however....

When I unmasked everything I wasn't happy with the overall appearance. Too much contrast between panels. And the shiny panels that I masked over at the start responded poorly to the tape.

Long story short, lots of sanding,  remasking and respraying.

Stay tuned

Dan

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Dang it Dan!

That's a bummer. I've been there too. No chance of blending things together with an overall coat of metallic?

Strange that you would say that, as I had considered exactly that solution.  Didn't have the guts to try it. Did it work for you  ?

Anyway most masking and sanding is complete.  Will probably re-spray with gloss black tomorrow. 

Dan

32 minutes ago, Dandiego said:

Strange that you would say that, as I had considered exactly that solution.  Didn't have the guts to try it. Did it work for you  ?

Yep. You basically just have to take it to a point where you think its still too "contrasty"  then stop. Look at it and take care by adding very thin layers from that point on to get it to a point where you can still see panel differentiation, but not the patchy quilt look. 

Ok, lots to see...................

I have finished with the major re-spray of the metal areas. In addition to re-spraying all of the very shiny Airframe Aluminum with Stainless Steel I have also given the entire model a light dust coat of Aluminum to try and blend in everything so that the panel contrast is toned down a little.

I have also un-masked all of the previously painted white areas. These areas will contain squadron markings. I will be adding yellow stripes.

Lots of cleanup and fine touchups to go but here is the basic scheme.

1mIrlHs.jpg

uC3Kl01.jpg

esScb3o.jpg

qQuBzbn.jpg

Dan

Awesome! The stripes really add some character too.

49 minutes ago, Dandiego said:

Lots of touch-ups to do but getting close to putting on markings. 

Brian, any hints on using stencils??

Really, just get yourself some super clear frisket film and use it to move the WHOLE mask all at one time, including the positive and negative parts of the mask. Just dont ever set any of them down individually/separately. That seems to lead to some misalignment in the end.

Do a test and make sure you can use some de-tacked masking tape to put down ahead of the masks on the airframe to make a template as to exactly where you want the mask to go. Lay out the stencil where you want it, lay down the masking tape to make a little box that you can line up the edge of the mask to, then stick the whole thing down and transfer from the big sheet all at once using the frisket film. 

Oh yeah, and make sure you dont load up the paint inside of the masks. Take it slow, and use many lighter passes to get it opaque. This will keep the paint build up around the edges of the mask to a minimum, and ease any pulling up of the paint when the mask is removed. 

Looking good Dan.  I'm really enjoying this one.  The masking is looking good.  I also like what you did with the tone down on the silver.  Another great build going on here.  

I'm still cracking up with the heavy duty wing to outer pylon security application.  Those were some of the biggest clamps I've seen to date being used on LSP!