F-89F Advanced Scorpion

Dandiego

Here are the weapons pylons. The lower ones are for the Genies. Still need to scribe in panel lines.

d7H5Ncy.jpg

I have added some raised service panels on the wings. I am just spit-balling here. Actually I am spit-balling the whole model!

p10Uawz.jpg

And some panel lines on the nose.

jfW5pAm.jpg

Dan

7 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

The pod doesn't look like its going anywhere soon.  :popcorn:

After some deep internet research I determined that Northrup used blue tape and big ass rubber bands to hold the pod in place while workers riveted the pod into place. Although it was not a common construction technique it was effective and cheap.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Progress.....

I have been working on the wing-top pod fairings. This is the second go round with putty.

hxNXTdK.jpg

Wingtip lights, there is a red one on the other wingtip. More sanding and polishing is needed.

3SGDakL.jpg

Genie missile fin bases, fresh off of the printer. Each base will get a sheet plastic insert, bottom of the pic. Genies that were carried on the Scorpion had the fins extended since they are not carried in an internal bay.

SlgGmy8.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have finished all of the major body work. I have sprayed some gloss white as the base for some colorful squadron markings. When the white was cured I masked it and have applied the first "dust" coat of gloss black. I am sure that I will find flaws and sanding marks. Next, after a day or so to cure, I will need to sand out any remaining problem areas before a heavy wet coat of gloss black.

IvwVrvQ.jpg

sALYLYP.jpg

Thats all, Dan

Gloss black beauty. I sprayed Rustoleum Gloss Black lacquer from a rattle can. This paint goes on smooth and dries hard as a rock in 30 minutes. The Alclad gloss black that I have used in the past sometimes stays tacky for days, even weeks.

7DMovMW.jpg

VernZSB.jpg

EQF4cxL.jpg

tLqgQQ3.jpg

I see a few gremlins in the paint and I will sand them out. Should be spraying Alclad paints in a day or 2.

Dan

Hey................

I have started application of the BMF. My base cost is Rustoleum Black Lacquer. After it dried, about 1 hour, I set about sanding out any problem areas. I started with 1200 grit and ended with 8000 grit. All sanding was done wet.

Next was an application out Airframe Aluminum. This is very shiny and should be applied over the gloss black to get the best finish. I then masked off these areas and applied White Aluminum. And that is where I am right now.

Wl02Fk2.jpg

MEIAXwt.jpg

Dan