Pave Knife Pod

32scalelover

I am thinking for my next project I was going to try and make the 1/32 Trumpeter A-6A from the Ranger from the Linebacker II campaign in late '72 e=where VA-145 Swordsmen use the Pave Knife pod to hit 14 bridges in the Hanoi/Haiphong area.  It looks like Sierra Hotel made a 1/32 Pave Knife pod in the past, but their web site currently shows "coming soon".  "32616D  AN/AVQ-10 PAVE Knife “Deployed & Cockpit Panel". Did anyone else make a Pave Knife pod?

Greg

7 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Sierra Hotel didn't release it, neither has anyone else. 

Crud!!!  That is what I was afraid of.  I emailed Mike at Sierra Hotel to get the status, but am not holding my breath. 

Does anyone know much about these missions.  I have found a little info but not much.  Supposedly they modified 3 A-6's from VA-145 to carry the Pave Knife pod on the center-line station to designate the aim point for the laser guided bombs for 14 bridges.  I am not sure if the plane with the pod carried laser guided bombs too or just other aircraft in the squadron.  If I can't get the Pave Knife Pod, then I may make one of the bomb carrying planes. I would guess that each plane would carry either 2 or 4 laser guided bombs.

Anyone with any information about these missions, I would love to hear from you.

Greg

Finn,

Great info.  I think that since I can't get a Pave Knife pod in 1/32 I may model one of the other aircraft in the squadron. I will load it with centerline tank, 2x MK83 LGB on inner pylons and 4 MK82 on each outer pylon a that photo showed in your link.  I would guess that this is the config for the non designator  aircraft.  Hard to tell.

Greg

Greg, I'm building the exact same thing right now except in 1/48. The planes with the pods also carried 2 LGB-10's each and fuel tanks on the outboard pylons. The planes that flew the missions that did not have the pod also carried LGB-10's that were guided by the three pod planes though I don't know how many. I'm using an Eduard pod but I don't think they have it in 1/32. The source of my information is the Furball decal set "Iron Tadpoles A-6A/B Intruders of the Vietnam War. They tend to be well researched so I trust they are correct. I have not read anything else about the mission.

I can probably wait a month or two for the pod as it will go on late in the build, and I have not even started it yet.  My next hurdle is the LGB-10's.  I have been looking around and I am not sure where I would get them.  I saw Trumpeter did a weapons set, but it had Paveway II bombs which I believe are too modern for my "72 missions. Does anyone know if anyone made the LGB-10's in 1/32 ? I saw  1:32 CAM Resin GBU-10 2000 lb Laser-Guided Bombs #R32002.  Are these the Paveway I  that I need?

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

51 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

I can probably wait a month or two for the pod as it will go on late in the build, and I have not even started it yet.  My next hurdle is the LGB-10's.  I have been looking around and I am not sure where I would get them.  I saw Trumpeter did a weapons set, but it had Paveway II bombs which I believe are too modern for my "72 missions. Does anyone know if anyone made the LGB-10's in 1/32 ? I saw  1:32 CAM Resin GBU-10 2000 lb Laser-Guided Bombs #R32002.  Are these the Paveway I  that I need?

Greg

The CAM bombs are Paveway IIs.

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/camr32002.htm

Edited by Dave Williams

1 hour ago, 32scalelover said:

That is what I thought. Does anyone make a 1/32 Paveway I?

Aside from the back fins the Paveway I and II look pretty darn close to the same. Should be a simple modification to back fit them.

The Hasegawa Weapon Set B instructions can be found here:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-x48-2-aircraft-weapons-b--104131

Including a drawing of the 2000lb LGB. Here is a video of one being loaded on a AF F-4, same weapon as the Navy one:

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675071237_Mark-84-Laser-Guided-Bombs_Ubon-Royal-Thai-Air-Force-Base_F-4D_tighten-sway-braces_safety-pin

Jari